none
stdole.dll primary interop and vs_piaredist RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    Where can I download vs_piaredist? Are there any legal issues with redistributing the vs_piaredist? I am writing a release note but cannot find a place to refer people to where they can download vs_piaredist.

I am also having some issues with stdole.dll not being loaded. I have a plugin architecture where the components are COM objects. One of the plugins is .NET referencing stdole.dll. When a plugin is loaded, the CLR loader generates an exception that it cannot find stdole.dll. Placing the stdole.dll in the same directory as the plugin does not work. Registering it in GAC does work. Copying and putting stdole.dll in the same directory as the application that loads the plugin also fixes the issue. This seems to only happen with stdole.dll. Other interops are loaded correctly. When I look at the list of modules loaded by the process, I can see the stdole.dll in the list of modules. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• Review the redist.txt file in your Visual Studio installation directory.  Mine specifically lists vs_piaredist.exe as a redistributable component.  Yes, a redistributable component is meant to be included in an installer.  If you still have questions about this, try contacting your company's legal counsel.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:29 PM

All replies

• You can find it back on your own machine, c:\program files\common files\merge modules.  Running it on the target machine will take care of the stdole.dll interop.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Thank you for reply.
    However, the question was not where I can get it.... I know VS puts it down into the "Merged Modules" directory. The question is where can the customers get it, and what are the legal issues? Is this file considered free for redistribution because it is located in the "Merged Modules" directory? If this is considered redistributable, then are we always supposed to include that file into our software install and copy it on the customer machine? I cannot seem to find any *official* Microsoft recommendations regarding the subject, it is just people opinions and suggestions. I guess what I would like to see a a page similar to the page related to the visual studio redistributable where the legal and other issues are explained by the original vendor, aka Microsoft. Could anyone point me to such page? (There is one but it is Office XP related).
    Thanks!
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Review the redist.txt file in your Visual Studio installation directory.  Mine specifically lists vs_piaredist.exe as a redistributable component.  Yes, a redistributable component is meant to be included in an installer.  If you still have questions about this, try contacting your company's legal counsel.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:29 PM