none
Retry Mechanism in Orchestration

Question

• Hi ,

I have an orchestration with a send/receive calling an external web service. Whenever i have around 8K files it generates 8K instances of the orchestration which is fine but when they all try to send/receive for the external web service i see many of them getting System.TimeOut exception.The reason is all the 8K instances waiting for the send port to be available. i increased the max connection for that particular web service URL but still i am seeing timeout exception, as well as i increased the timeout in the send port to around 

close Timeout : 00:15:00
    open Timeout : 00:15:00
    receive Timeout 00:20:00
    send Timeout : 00:15:00

but now i still seeing the warning in the event viewer but no suspended instances due to that as they eventually succeeds in the retry mechanism.

Is there any other way i can get rid of the issue or is there any way to have a retry mechanism in the orchestration if i get a timeout exception on the port because as the number of incoming files may increase from 8K and at that time it may fail again due to the same exception.

Monday, January 2, 2017 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

My  suggestion would be to implement throttling pattern in Orchestration instead on relying on the send port retry count . Good option is to open that much connection were your downstream system get respond .

If you are opening all the threads for a host instance might be it will effect your biztalk processing as well .

Scott Colestock  has written on this and well worked by Richard Seroter 

https://seroter.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/biztalk-orchestration-throttling-pattern/ 

Another option is to use ordered delivery at send port but it this will limit your processing to sequential.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:17 AM
  • Hi 

Are you using dedicated host instance on the send port (which is calling the web service)? if you have more than one BizTalk application server in the group try to create another instance of the host instance and put it on another BizTalk server in the group.

This will distribute the load on different machines. But make sure your web service can also handle concurrent connections. Hope this helps you.

Cheers,HTH

Naushad Alam http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com/

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful , Propose As Answer , and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, January 2, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Jay

One option is to increase the Retry Count on the SendPort to higher than 3.

Another pattern that you can look to implement is the Resource Dispenser pattern.

Thanks Arindam

Monday, January 2, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi Arindam,

Thanks for the quick reply. Increasing the retry will make sure that transaction is successful but still i would be seeing a number of warnings in my event viewer and that is something i don't want to do. 

I will go through the link which you have given and let you know if it solves my issue.

Thanks,

Jay Mishra

Monday, January 2, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi Jay,

You can try this to avoid the warnings in the event viewer.

Increased the max connection for that particular web service and turn on the ordered delivery for the send port.

or 

Add the following element near the end of each relevant machine.config file (before the </configuration> element):

<system.transactions>
      <machineSettings maxTimeout="01:00:00" />
    </system.transactions>

for the DTC System Transaction timeout.

Monday, January 2, 2017 7:14 AM
  • If i turn on ordered delivery then there would be no warnings at all as they will be processed one by one and moreover if i turn ordered delivery then to complete 8K instances will take a lot of time. which i don't want to do .Currently my application processes around 3K instances in 12 minutes which if i make ordered delivery it would take around 45-55 mins which is not acceptable as per my requirements.
    Monday, January 2, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Another approach...You can limit the number of service calls in the bts config to an acceptable value for your web service say 3k or 4k.

Its the service issue and is not related to BizTalk so ask ur service provider as to what is the max acceptable and have that in config..

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool/

Monday, January 2, 2017 10:41 AM
    Answerer
  • As a rule of thumb, the value for the maxconnection parameter should be set to 12 * the number of CPUs or cores on the computer hosting the web application. in my case i have set it to 108 which is the max i get as each server have 3 cores and we have 2 servers.

Monday, January 2, 2017 12:34 PM
  • As a temporary solution i am limiting the number of orchestration running concurrently to 1000 and it takes around 3.3 minutes to complete those 1000 and then i run another 1000 and so on.

i Know this isn't the best solution but in this case i am not having any warnings for timeout as well as my performance is almost the same.

Monday, January 2, 2017 12:39 PM
  • As a rule of thumb, the value for the maxconnection parameter should be set to 12 * the number of CPUs or cores on the computer hosting the web application. in my case i have set it to 108 which is the max i get as each server have 3 cores and we have 2 servers.

Ya true.. But u can tweak that to match what  ur service is capable of handling.

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool/

Monday, January 2, 2017 2:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi 

Are you using dedicated host instance on the send port (which is calling the web service)? if you have more than one BizTalk application server in the group try to create another instance of the host instance and put it on another BizTalk server in the group.

This will distribute the load on different machines. But make sure your web service can also handle concurrent connections. Hope this helps you.

Cheers,HTH

Naushad Alam http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com/

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful , Propose As Answer , and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, January 2, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Hi ,

My  suggestion would be to implement throttling pattern in Orchestration instead on relying on the send port retry count . Good option is to open that much connection were your downstream system get respond .

If you are opening all the threads for a host instance might be it will effect your biztalk processing as well .

Scott Colestock  has written on this and well worked by Richard Seroter 

https://seroter.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/biztalk-orchestration-throttling-pattern/ 

Another option is to use ordered delivery at send port but it this will limit your processing to sequential.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:17 AM