none
My Conclusions RRS feed

• General discussion

1. 1. Apps when installed are pinned to Metro. - Primary apps should be pinned to Metro while secondary apps should be located elsewhere on the main desktop so they can be accessed when necessary.                                                                                                           2.We should be able to either customize or replace icons on Metro.                                     3.It is unacceptable that it takes 4 clicks to shut down the OS from the main desktop.          4.Windows 8 boot manager is incomplete and continues to hide other Window OS,s - Windows 7 repair fixes this, but only for the current session.                                                       Conclusions. Windows 8 is fast but these things must be addressed before I would purchase and use Win 8 over windows 7 which I consider to be an awesome operating system !!                                                                               
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

1. 1. Apps when installed are pinned to Metro. - Primary apps should be pinned to Metro while secondary apps should be located elsewhere on the main desktop so they can be accessed when necessary.                                                                                                           2.We should be able to either customize or replace icons on Metro.                                     3.It is unacceptable that it takes 4 clicks to shut down the OS from the main desktop.          4.Windows 8 boot manager is incomplete and continues to hide other Window OS,s - Windows 7 repair fixes this, but only for the current session.                                                       Conclusions. Windows 8 is fast but these things must be addressed before I would purchase and use Win 8 over windows 7 which I consider to be an awesome operating system !!                                                                               

1) Windows 7 is slower than Windows XP (32 or 64 bit) on the same computer.  Windows 8 is actually faster than either (Microsofts Own Benchmarking Software Used).

2) I agree there is a problem with Metro.  The Metro Access is cumbersome and slows experienced users.  After I did some basic moving around of the Metro Icons I found this could be solved by putting the most used first and the least used afterward.  Everyone has a different perspective on what's important for their work or home use so Microsoft should allow modification of Metro to reflect this.  

3) ALT_CTRL_DEL + Click on the Power Icon + Click on Shutdown is an acceptable sequence for shutdown of a computer.  Especially one that keeps track of as much as this, Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8, OS is expected to do!

4) I really have not liked a Microsoft Initial Release since Windows ME.  Windows 8 is more solid now that either Windows 7 or Vista were at their releases. 

5) The Boot Manager really shouldn't be a problem to an experienced user. I have the choice of Windows XP, Ubuntu, Oracle Solaris 11, or Chrome Beta running through the same boot manager with no hiccups.

6) As much as I hate to say this, So Far Windows 8 exceeds expectation.  It will run on more of my clients older systems than Windows 7 would effectively.  I wish there were versions, for the clients that I can't get to turn loose of their 80486's in business environments.

Jerry Babiome

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:32 PM