OpenWith dialog with unknown filetype

Question

• I noticed that when user click a unknown filetype, Win8 system popup a OpenWith dialog. I found the OpenWith.exe under C:\Windows\System32. I try to modify the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown_BU and replace the "OpenWith.exe" string. But the system still can popup the OpenWith dialog when open unknown filetypes.

I've tried the method and it works on Win7. I watched the video of file association topic on channel9 and I know Win8 made some changes. So I'm curious about how can I remove or replace the OpenWith dialog by modifying registry or other method?

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:13 AM

Answers

• In the Windows Developer Preview the open with system is being redone. This was one small area that is not quite up to snuff yet. I would expect the beta will have this little portion fully operational. I have experenced this issue as well and have not yet found a solution.

I will still try and work the problem. However by the end of Feb. It should become a non-issue to due to the Windows Customer Preview (aka the Beta) which should be, based on previous windows development cycles, a feature complete version albeit not completely polished.

---

Mat A. Tobin
    Commading Officer
    Binary Outcast

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:04 AM

All replies

• Can anyone help answering the question?
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:09 AM
  • In the Windows Developer Preview the open with system is being redone. This was one small area that is not quite up to snuff yet. I would expect the beta will have this little portion fully operational. I have experenced this issue as well and have not yet found a solution.

I will still try and work the problem. However by the end of Feb. It should become a non-issue to due to the Windows Customer Preview (aka the Beta) which should be, based on previous windows development cycles, a feature complete version albeit not completely polished.

---

Mat A. Tobin
    Commading Officer
    Binary Outcast

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:04 AM