none
Visual Studio 2017 RC: Anroid NDK Python being flagged as virus

Question

• Did anyone else run into this with VS20017 RC where python, part of the android NDK, was being flagged by Mcafee as a virus?

3 files get removed during install as RDN/Generic.hbg trojans

python2.7.exe
    python.exe
    python2.exe

Can it be the package is actually infected or just false positives? Installer downloaded from MSDN subscription.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Zenuke,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, I research around and it looks like this issue have not be posted by other community members yet.

You can try to temporarily disable Mcafee and continue this installation, if the installation is successfully, so you can use the python. After that, we recommend you use the Report a Problem option in the upper right corner Help-Seed Feedback, either from the installer or the Visual Studio IDE itself to report this issue, then track your feedback on the developer community portal.

Meanwhile, you can share the link of this issue once you already reported it, if some other community members who meet the same issue can vote it or know the progress of this feedback, thank you for your support.

If after you turn off the Mcafee, this installation still failed, I need your help to collect the installation logs, you can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:12 AM
  • I am getting the same issue when I install VS2017 RC (and the Android NDK)
    Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Hi jbouvier,

Welcome to the MSDN and thank you for your feedback, when you temporarily disable or turn off Mcafee, does the installation works successful? I have searched around, it looks like nobody reported this issue to the VS product team or Mcafee, you can also redirect to the Mcafee Community Support and since the Mcafee software flag the python.exe as virus that blocks the VS installation.

If you have any update, welcome to share in here, some community members who meet the same or similar issue can also share her/his idea in here, and let others know the progress of this issue, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 8:38 AM
  • just for your information: I have this problem too.
    Download and install VS2017 Community RC.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Hi Ash En,

Thank you for your feedback, does you also using the Mcafee on your computer, right?

If so, try to turn off or disable Mcafee, then re-run the installer as administrator again. If the installation is successful, it looks like the Mcafee not add the python.exe as trusted and it is better to report this issue to the Mcafee Community Support. Once you reported it, please share the link in here, so other community members who meet the same issue can know the progress of this issue, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:35 AM