none
the promote method returned an invalid value for the distributed transaction RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Azure Web App to host the site

Used asp.net and sql server hosted on an azure vm

A strange error "the promote method returned an invalid value for the distributed transaction" and very little information on web.

I am using it in transaction scope

where MainMethod calls MethodA & MethodB wrapped inside a transactionscope and each methods are further using transaction scope individually.

I don't get error running locally.

I get this error only in Azure Web App services.

Any suggestions highly welcome. 

• Moved by David Ebbo Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:33 PM More of a SQL issue
    • Moved by Casey KarstMicrosoft employee Sunday, April 12, 2015 4:40 PM Finding the right community to answer question
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:18 PM Moving to the forum for client-side data access for best results
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:18 AM

All replies

• Moving to the SQL forum. Even though you are seeing this from a Web App, the error is from SQL and the SQL experts here are more likely to have insights about what's triggering it.
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:34 PM
  • If this error is from SQL then how come this works fine from another azure VM instead of azure web services
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:56 PM
  • Note: I am not using Azure SQL Database

I am using Sql Server Express 2012 installed in an azure VM and App in Azure App services

Moving this thread to Azure SQL Database is not making any sense here.

Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Sorry, I should have moved it to SQL forum instead. An admin from this forum can do this.

As per my previous reply, the point of moving it to SQL to to find experts who are more likely to understand this error, since it is not specifically an Azure Web App error (even though that's where you happen to see it).

Threads like this one suggest that it's related to MS DTC.

• Edited by David Ebbo Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:27 AM
    Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:27 AM
  • Hello TeamIn,

Please check if you are in the 32/64 bit situation in think KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910907?wa=wsignin1.0 which is mentioned also in the link provided by David and you could confirm if there is 32/64 bit different version service on the azure forum.

>>I am using Sql Server Express 2012 installed in an azure VM and App in Azure App services

I am not sure how the Windows Azure SQL Database is defined, you could confirm it on the azure forum if your database is already a Windows Azure SQL Database and if so, according to this blog, it shows that the Windows Azure SQL Database does not support distributed transactions, which are transactions that multiple transaction managers (multiple resources).

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 13, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Thanks Fred for help but this was the only help I found on web and tried this too previously but no result. Though I used 64 bit in azure web app services and my azure vm (database server) I am using windows server 2012 R2.

I am not using Windows Azure SQL Database.

• Edited by TeamIn Monday, April 13, 2015 4:31 AM More details
    Monday, April 13, 2015 4:27 AM
  • Hello TeamIn,

I am trying to invoke someone experienced to help look into this thread, it may take some time and as soon as we get any result, we will tell you.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:45 AM