none
Ribbon Modification - XML - buttons work on one system but not another - dynamic menus work RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am hoping for some troubleshooting steps to take.

    I have a custom ribbon stored in a global template that contains buttons and ribbon changes. All of the buttons in the ribbon have stopped working on one computer in Word 2010. On the same computer the same ribbon modifications work fine in Word 2007 and Word 2010. What could be blocking only the buttons on the ribbon? BTW, some of the ribbon buttons are also in the QAT stored in the template. They do not work from the QAT, either. One of the non-functional buttons is the one for a macro that attaches my standard datafile to merge documents and query's for a record. I use that one a lot.

    The buttons call macros which are available and run fine through the Macros command.

    This ribbon modification worked well on this computer for at least two years.

    I am guessing it might be an Add-In on the one computer but don't know how that could selectively block the buttons.


    Charles Kenyon Madison, WI



    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:16 PM

Answers

  • Well, I just figured it out. The problem stems from one Add-In that is only on this computer. When I disabled it, the buttons work again. I will be talking with the author of the Add-In to investigate.

    Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:21 PM

All replies

  • Well, I just figured it out. The problem stems from one Add-In that is only on this computer. When I disabled it, the buttons work again. I will be talking with the author of the Add-In to investigate.

    Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:21 PM
  • He suspects it is that the module containing the button callbacks has the same name as a module in the other Add-In. Since we both got our start with RibbonX: Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon - by Robert Martin, Ken Puls, and Theresa Hennig.

    Charles Kenyon Madison, WI


    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Hi Charles

    Interesting. Are you able to confirm whether changing the module name for your Ribbon makes a difference? Or are the "Sub" names (also) the same? The latter would be a "known" problem with VBA, generally and not just with the Ribbon.


    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:20 PM
    Moderator
  • I have not found any yet (the code in the other one is locked). Again both of us tend to use the same naming conventions so it wouldn't surprise me.

    I do know, though, that if that Add-In is not loaded, there is no problem with my own. Mine is fairly extensive with one large ribbon tab and modifications to two others. It is the code dealing only with the buttons, though, and the macros those call are very old and still work. So, it is somewhere in the button callbacks. If I do find out, I will post something here.

    While my code is better documented than that drafted by many tinkerers, it was never intended for distrubution and I got it running about four years ago. Sorting through it is a chore.


    Charles Kenyon Madison, WI


    Sunday, July 12, 2015 4:06 AM