none
Multiple kinect V2's where there field of views dont overlap. RRS feed

• Question

•  I know that similar questions like this have been asked before so bear with me. I want to get 2 kinect V2 sensors running on one PC.  These 2 Kinect v2 sensors will be mounted on the same machine but one sensor will monitor the infeed of the machine and one will monitor the outfeed. Then each PC will  pass depth data to a PLC over ethernet for processing. It seems a waste to have 2 PC's running when I know that 1 PC can handle the info from both sensors. The sensors will be looking in oppsite directions so the depth data coming from each sensor should be clear. Any ideas?

Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:08 PM

All replies

• I'm using iPi Recorder to do motion capture; and in the documentation, it says that 2x Kinect v2 is not supported by the Kinect SDK.

Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:35 AM
  • As stated by Matt, Kinect v2 does not support 2 sensors on the same system. There are bandwidth issues and just the amount of data can be a limiting factor.

That said, the approach of using a network to processed data has been used by many developers. see RoomAlive - http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/roomalive/ as one public demonstration of that. There are others that have used video capture hardware as a novel method but does requires specific hardware to support that.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:04 AM
  •  I know that similar questions like this have been asked before so bear with me. I want to get 2 kinect V2 sensors running on one PC.  These 2 Kinect v2 sensors will be mounted on the same machine but one sensor will monitor the infeed of the machine and one will monitor the outfeed. Then each PC will  pass depth data to a PLC over ethernet for processing. It seems a waste to have 2 PC's running when I know that 1 PC can handle the info from both sensors. The sensors will be looking in oppsite directions so the depth data coming from each sensor should be clear. Any ideas?

This might solve your problem when it gets released 

http://brekel.com/multikinectv2/

Though you need a PC for each connect

Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:03 PM