Visual Studio 2013 Designer Error

Question

• I've given up...

I am a teacher at a small two-year college, trying to teach a couple courses that require Visual Studio 2013. One of them is developing apps for Windows Phone. I have tried many troubleshooting steps (listed below) but nothing seems to address the problem with the Designer failing when I open a .xaml file.  I started with VS2013 and Update 3.

• Removed VS2013 and re-installed (Update 2)
    • Added Update 3 again
    • Erased 'cache' as suggested in some forum articles
    • Removed an 'un-activated' MS Office product (Visio)

This error occurs on a newly created Windows Phone app where I have not changed a single line of code. I've read dozens of posts at different location on the net but nothing seems to fix the problem. I am running on a new installation of Windows 8.1 with all updates applied. I have been able to get it all to work on my personal system but not on my classrooms systems, which by the way are virtually identical. My only recourse at this point is to wipe the systems and re-install Windows 8.1 and VS2013, but I've seen posts on the net that indicated even that didn't resolve the problem. 

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed in Microsoft. There are posts about this problem for more than a year now and yet there is no solution, no real recommendations, nothing...

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide. I have a classroom full of students eager to learn but we have nothing that works.

rivers

Friday, September 05, 2014 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Yendor,

Go to VS2013 Express does not help much, because express is only the free version of Visual Studio, but please give a try.

I would recommend you to wipe your system and reinstall everything, if you still have issue on using Visual Studio, you can report the issue to Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:51 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did try that although I did not find a 'Blend' folder. 

One other note...my problem not only applies to existing projects but even to newly created ones. Create a new project, open the XAML file and it fails immediately.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated by myself and my students. We are stuck. I wonder if going to VS2013 EXPRESS would help? We are currently running VS2013 Professional.

Monday, September 08, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Hi Yendor,

Go to VS2013 Express does not help much, because express is only the free version of Visual Studio, but please give a try.

I would recommend you to wipe your system and reinstall everything, if you still have issue on using Visual Studio, you can report the issue to Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:51 AM