none
What version of CMake server comes with VS2017 and how could one to point VS to another installation if necessary?

Question

• Now that CMake 3.8.n seem to be in RC1, does someone know what version of CMake server is inclunded in the VS 2017 RTM version? Currently, I believe, it's a custom build of CMake 3.6. Also, is there a way to point VS to another installation of the CMake server (I'm thinking of pointing to a newer verson as it comes along).

Cheers,
    Veikko

Sudet ulvovat -- karavaani kulkee

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Veikko,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the CMake and our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. It is better to redirect this appropriate forum: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html

As far as I know, the CMake shipped with VS 2017 RC2 is 3.6, not the latest version 3.8 RC1. Have a look at this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\XXX\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\CMake\CMake\doc\cmake-3.6, I found this corresponding folder on my side.

Meanwhile, you can also have a look at this: CMake support in Visual Studio 2017 – what’s new in the RC.2 update

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Veikko Eeva Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Veikko,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the CMake and our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. It is better to redirect this appropriate forum: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html

As far as I know, the CMake shipped with VS 2017 RC2 is 3.6, not the latest version 3.8 RC1. Have a look at this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\XXX\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\CMake\CMake\doc\cmake-3.6, I found this corresponding folder on my side.

Meanwhile, you can also have a look at this: CMake support in Visual Studio 2017 – what’s new in the RC.2 update

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Veikko Eeva Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hi!

I'm not actually reporting a problem, as that's what the link to other forums advocates it is for. The blog post you outlined doesn't seem to indicate the CMake version included in the box, but the latest post at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/02/14/vcpkg-recent-enhancements/ has

• Bump required version & auto-downloaded version of cmake to 3.7.2 (was 3.5.x), which includes generators for Visual Studio 2017
    Which is kind of interesting. But maybe the most authoritative answer is found by installing the latest bits and checking the path, as you suggest. I'll ask on the other forum if it possible to redirect VS 2017 to another path to a newer version of CMake.

Thanks!

Sudet ulvovat -- karavaani kulkee

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Hi Veikko,

Thank you for your sharing and hope you get a better support on another forum for your issue :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:33 AM