Custom report doesn't work, how to get this data? RRS feed

• Question

• We want to know how many people visits (with details) our sharepoint site collection, so we can create a Custom Report for each day. This takes too much time to be generated, but for now it works.

The problem is the following scenario. We want to generate reports for a range of time bigger... months, for example, and we cannot do it! The report is not generated maybe because of a timeout.

Does Anyone here know how to achieve this?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan_sharepoint,

Do you receive the error message when you generate the report for a range of the time?

And you also could check if there is related information about the issue in the ULS log. (The path of ULS log: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Logs)

If you have the error message, you could provide the error message.

And you also could use the usage report to check the number of the visitors. It has the number of visitors daily and monthly. You could go to site settings->site administration->popularity trends.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

View usage reports in SharePoint Server 2013.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj715890.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, January 22, 2016 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Sara Fan.

The Usage reports doesn't provide details such as who visits a list element. Firstly, the timeout was due to the http routine timeout but I fixed it, I do not what is the problem now and the log is tooooo long. Another Timeout I guess but I don't want to change more because 30 min to generate the statistics for just one day is too much.

So I thought to develop something in my own way, but I don't know how to get this data. Can you help me with it?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Have you ever used LogParser? you can get any details using it against the IIS Logs.

Luis Herrera

• Edited by Luis Herrera Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:09 PM
  • Hi Dan_sharepoint,

Sorry for delayed reply.

There is an approaches. You could develop the code to monitor the IIS request, then add these IIS request to SharePoint list.  Then you could analysis the list to get the report according to your requirement.

Performance Counters Reference (IIS 6.0).

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/0a6c9f07-a70c-4c3d-b93d-5dfef593c744.mspx?mfr=true

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, February 5, 2016 8:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 15, 2016 7:30 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 8:43 AM