Using Narrator in My Windows 8 App RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

Can I in any way use Narrator to narrate the content of my app to the user as he or she clicks a button. Please provide me with a sample if possible.

Regards

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• It depends on who you mean as "I". You-the-app-author cannot control the user of Narrator with your app. The app cannot automate Narrator on a button click. You-the-user can use Narrator to narrate the content of properly written apps.

Make sure that all text and text-like objects are properly annotated with AutomationProperties.Name calls. See Exposing basic information about UI elements and Meeting requirements for accessible text .

See my blog entry  Accessibility Gotchas 1: Xaml ListView speaks in tongues for handling collection controls.

If you want the app to speak directly rather than through Narrator then take a look at the SpeechSynthesizer class (Windows)‎ . The app can use that to generate speech when a button is pressed.

--Rob

Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Hello Sir,

Thank you for the reply. I searched for the SpeechSynthesizer  class in my Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. It was not present in it. What do I do...????

Regards

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:59 AM
  • SpeechSynthesizer is new for Windows 8.1. You will need to upgrade to use it.

See the table at the bottom of its documentation page:

Minimum supported client

Windows 8.1 [Windows Store apps only]

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:35 PM