Planning for a new SQL database installation RRS feed

• Question

• I started work on migrating a small -- but growing -- MS Access database to SQL Server. My client has SQL Server 2016, I think. 

My question, what do I need to do in, now, in order to smooth out any troubles the day the migration is complete and that I have the c# front end working? For sure, I'll have to bring the MDB and LOG files over? What about ownership? Security?

Monday, March 16, 2020 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi roger.breton,

>My question, what do I need to do in, now, in order to smooth out any troubles the day the migration is complete and that I have the c# front end working?
    You need to prepare for migration:1.Upgrading older Access databases;2.Removing workgroup protection;3.Backing up databases;4.Documenting databases.
    >For sure, I'll have to bring the MDB and LOG files over? What about ownership? Security?
    You’d better have to.   
    To load database objects into SQL Server and to migrate data to SQL Server, the minimum permission requirement is membership in the db_owner database role in the target database.
    For Secure connection, you can choose Encrypt Connection Checkbox and TrustServerCertificate Checkbox. 

This may be helpful: migrate-an-access-database-to-sql-server connecting-to-sql-server-accesstosql

If the reply is helpful, thanks for remembering to click "Mark as Answer".

Best Regards.
    yuxi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by roger.breton Tuesday, March 17, 2020 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 1:56 AM