Setting up location of Users folder durning istallation

General discussion

• I've been waiting for since Windows NT, but now I think it's time to add it.

SSD drives are more and more popular. But they still not cheap, not to mention their storage size is not very impressive, and lot's tends to use them only for application/critical files store, to save space on them.

What I'd like to be able to do, is to change location of Users folder during installation. Changing it AFTER system is installed is true PITA, and after few times I did it, and concluded is simply not worth effort especially because you can easily, broke something and can revert this back..

Moving users folder to another drive have several advantages:

a) users settings are preserved by default, in case of something bad happen to system

b) users can use default folders for store their personal files without flooding system drive with useless files, and those files are still private by default, you don't need to mock up with folder security settings.

c) system drive is not flooded with many pretty useless files like temporary files, game saves, and so on. And on SSD drive while it not might be a big concern, we automatically save limited amount of data saves we can make on it.

I gently please to add this option into advanced installation option in system. Hopefully is not to much work, and it can greatly improve experience, especially if users will know there is finally option to do so.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:06 AM