Binding redirect fail after installing VS2008 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I was refereed to this forum from the "where to post forum" , so I hope this is the right place to post this question.  If not please direct me to the correct forum.

A binding redirect which worked correctly with VS2005 is now failing in many scenarios after installing VS2008 SP1.  It appears that the binding redirect works on dev machines when logged on as an admin, but is failing on test machines and dev machines when logged on as a non-admin.  The binding redirect is specified in the config file for the "host" application which loads add-in like assemblies which reference the assembly specified in the binding redirect.  Are there any known issues with binding redirects specified in the configuration file for VS2008?  Any ideas on how to work around this?

Customer question on our forum (VSTA):  http://www.summsoft.com/forums/t/903.aspx

Thanks,
    -Melody

Melody @ Summsoft
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:51 PM

Answers

• I am unsure why the binding redirect fails, but I did find a workaround.  Originally the binding redirect was specified in the application level configuration (app.exe.config), but if the binding redirect is specified in the machine level configuration file (machine.config) instead then it succeeds.  For more information on this please see my blog on binding redirects or the original forum question .

Thanks,

-Melody

Melody @ Summsoft
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:19 PM