Migrate existing LUN to new SQL cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing SQL server with data and log files stored on separate existing LUNs. I would like to detach the existing LUNs and add them to a SQL 2008 cluster. The new SQL 2008 cluster is already configured with resources on three LUNs (quorum, DTC, and SQL). I have migrated to a 2008 cluster before, but always by doing a Detach\Copy\Attach from existing LUNs to the new LUNs. We are considering detaching and attaching the old LUNs where the data and log files reside in the hopes that we can shorten down time, primarily because a couple of the DBs are 375 GB. Having never performed this procedure, I'm a little concerned about potential issues, was wondering whether anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully) attempted this. 
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:23 PM

Answers

• Re-hosting LUNs is a fairly common exercise and doing that along side detach/attach is also a common technique for moving big databases around for upgrades, physical server moves (rehost) or just to annoy the SAN admins. Just kidding, we love our SAN admins.

Just make sure you verified with your SAN admin that the zones are setup such that you can actually see the LUNs from your new server. You also need to follow through with setting the appropriate the cluster dependencies so failover does occur properly with the right group.

That said, always make sure you have a current, verified to be working backup before starting anything.

Only the paranoid survive - Andy Grove

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Monday, January 31, 2011 5:45 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Re-hosting LUNs is a fairly common exercise and doing that along side detach/attach is also a common technique for moving big databases around for upgrades, physical server moves (rehost) or just to annoy the SAN admins. Just kidding, we love our SAN admins.

Just make sure you verified with your SAN admin that the zones are setup such that you can actually see the LUNs from your new server. You also need to follow through with setting the appropriate the cluster dependencies so failover does occur properly with the right group.

That said, always make sure you have a current, verified to be working backup before starting anything.

Only the paranoid survive - Andy Grove

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Monday, January 31, 2011 5:45 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Thanks, Joe, loved the line about annoying our SAN admins
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:00 PM