none
Cant uninstall Framework Language Pack on Windows 7 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed on a Windows 7 Professional that has been upgraded from a Windows Vista business. I have a Danish Language Pack installed (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 - Danish). This was installed under Vista. Now I have upgraded to Windows 7 Professional where that language pack is unsupported apparantly. I'm trying to get help in a Windows 7 forum to change the OS language but it seems to fail because multiple MUI's is unsupported in Windows 7 Professional. So I hope someone here can help me remove the Language Pack or something like that...

When I try to uninstall or reinstall the Language Pack I get an error saying that the OS isn't supported. What I want is to have my exceptions in English - not Danish. I cannot remove the Framework Language Pack using "Windows Installer Clean Up" because it isn't listed.

How can I remove this language pack? Or alternatively instruct the Framework to give me Exceptions in the "en-US" localization?

--
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Werner,

As Windows 7 includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.  This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

So the default .net framework installed should be the Danish language one. Now that your version of Win7 is the professional one which does not support multiple display language, I am not sure whether we can install another language package of .net framework on it, you could install the default english version of .net framework 3.5 sp1 full package from here to see if it could be installed. For a better reply, you may post it on Win7 Forum.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, February 5, 2010 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Hello,

I just read a tip from .net framework 3.5 readme and found that to install .net framework 3.5 language package on the machine which includes it as OS component, we have to install the language package of the OS.

As WIN7 Pro does not support multiple language package, we are not able to do it.

Sorry for that.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Based on your description, you have WIN7 with English display language and one .net framework language package sp1 - Danish installed, now you want to change the language of .net framework 3.5 from Danish to English. 

Have you ever tried uninstalling the language pack through control panel and reinstall the English Version of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Language Pack?

If I have misunderstood you, please correct me.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Hello,

Based on your description, you have WIN7 with English display language and one .net framework language package sp1 - Danish installed, now you want to change the language of .net framework 3.5 from Danish to English. 

Have you ever tried uninstalling the language pack through control panel and reinstall the English Version of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Language Pack?

If I have misunderstood you, please correct me.

Hi Edwer,

No, I have Danish display language in Windows 7. Perhaps this has changed in Windows 7, but running Vista Business with Danish display language does not mean that ,NET culture is Danish. It was English. At some point I needed to test with a different culture so I downloaded the .NET Danish language pack for 3.5 SP1. Then the tech guys installed Windows 7 Professional on my laptop.

Now I am done testing different cultures in .NET and want to have my default English culture in .NET back. But this is not easy. Apparantly theres no machine configuration for the default culture (there is one for web applications but thats not enough). So my only option is to get rid of that Danish language pack (because Windows 7 Professional does not support multiple langauges). However if I try to either uninstall or reinstall the Danish language pack I get an error saying that the OS isn't supported.

If I try to download install the English language pack from your link I get a file called "readme.htm" with this content:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Readme Language Pack Version. There is no language pack for the English version of this package. If you wish to install the language pack for a different language, please return to the Microsoft Download Center page where you found this download and select a different language. "

So thats my current status :(

-- 

Friday, January 8, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hello Werner,

As Windows 7 includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.  This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

So the default .net framework installed should be the Danish language one. Now that your version of Win7 is the professional one which does not support multiple display language, I am not sure whether we can install another language package of .net framework on it, you could install the default english version of .net framework 3.5 sp1 full package from here to see if it could be installed. For a better reply, you may post it on Win7 Forum.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, February 5, 2010 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Hello Werner,

Hi Edwer,

Thanks for replying. I will download and see if the new install fixes this issue. Unfortunately there were no help from the W7 forum on this issue - the problem is by design :).

I will report back on how the framework install behaved.

--

Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:32 PM
  • No unfortunately I can't install that file - it extracts and the nothing - eventlog show a non-descriptive error with reference to some files that doesnt exist :(. But thanks for trying though.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Hello Werner,

It seems to be by design, sorry about that.

Wish you a great day!

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hello,

I just read a tip from .net framework 3.5 readme and found that to install .net framework 3.5 language package on the machine which includes it as OS component, we have to install the language package of the OS.

As WIN7 Pro does not support multiple language package, we are not able to do it.

Sorry for that.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Hello Werner,

So the default .net framework installed should be the Danish language one. Now that your version of Win7 is the professional one which does not support multiple display language, I am not sure whether we can install another language package of .net framework on it, you could install the default english version of .netframework 3.5 sp1 full package from here to see if it could be installed. For a better reply, you may post it on Win7 Forum.

Thanks for your explanation! Now I understand more about it, It's very detailed.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:20 AM