none
.NET Framework Programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 ".NET Framework" programs** on my computer taking up over 5GB of memory. Do I need all of them?

**2.0 Service Pack 2

3.0 Service Pack 2

3.5 SPI

4 Client Profile

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance anyone can give!

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:56 PM

Answers

• Whether you need them or not depends on the applications you have installed on your computer. If you remove a .NET Framework, then all programs that require the version you removed will no longer run.

Further, although you listed what appear to be four .NET Framework versions, there are only two.

.NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5

.NET Framework 4.0

,NET Framework 2.0/2.0/3.5 are all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. Therefore, if you try to remove 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 will be destroyed.

Another caveat: You can remove .NET Frameworks only if you installed them yourself. If a .NET Framework came as part of your Windows version, you cannot remove it. So, unless you have Windows XP, you will not be able to remove some of the "versions" you listed under any circumstances.

Going back to my first point: "If you remove a .NET Framework, then all programs that require the version you removed will no longer run." I strongly recommend that you NOT remove any .NET Framework unless you are SURE that none of your installed programs need it.

• Proposed as answer by Barry WangModerator Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by HShaeH Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:40 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 8:46 PM

All replies

• Whether you need them or not depends on the applications you have installed on your computer. If you remove a .NET Framework, then all programs that require the version you removed will no longer run.

Further, although you listed what appear to be four .NET Framework versions, there are only two.

.NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5

.NET Framework 4.0

,NET Framework 2.0/2.0/3.5 are all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. Therefore, if you try to remove 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 will be destroyed.

Another caveat: You can remove .NET Frameworks only if you installed them yourself. If a .NET Framework came as part of your Windows version, you cannot remove it. So, unless you have Windows XP, you will not be able to remove some of the "versions" you listed under any circumstances.

Going back to my first point: "If you remove a .NET Framework, then all programs that require the version you removed will no longer run." I strongly recommend that you NOT remove any .NET Framework unless you are SURE that none of your installed programs need it.

• Proposed as answer by Barry WangModerator Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by HShaeH Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:40 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Thank you so very much for your time & response :)
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:41 PM