none
WCF4 streaming+routing performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I try to test an ability and performance of netTcpBinding streaming through routing in WCF4. I have two servers, router and client. Servers have 2 services: one for buffered transfer and another for streamed transfer. I test it on my local machine.

When I transfer big files directly between client and server and measure chunck sizes while processing the incoming stream, they appears to be 64Kb. Files are transferred somewhat fast. When I transfer a file through router, I get almost 70% CPU consumption on two-core machine and chunks appears to be 384 bytes. Files are transferred much slower.

I can send source code if you'd like.

Please can you tell what could be a cause of performance decrease and especially CPU comsumption?

Thank you!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I mentioned in this thread, routing service will relies on MessageFilter implementations that are used to match specific values within the messages to be routed, so I will impact the performance.

And you may enable performance counters or the tools I suggested in that thread to help you gauge your application's performance.

#WCF Performance Counters

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms735098.aspx

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:04 AM
  • I believe MatchAll filter shouldn't affect performance any way.

And of course, my question was not answered. My question was about size of streamed chunks as I can see them while reading stream from WCF channel. I guess that was the cause of poor performance and high CPU load.

Please mark your reply as not an answer.

• Edited by rapace77 Monday, March 11, 2013 11:11 AM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 11:06 AM