none
Saving setting for an app for Microsoft Project RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to save some user setting for an "App for Project". The Project document context does not seem to support the setting property for the other office applications.

I therefore tried using the localstorage. This worked while the application was opened, even when I went to another page that was part of the app and then reloaded the original page. However when I close and reopened the application the setting were not saved.

I then tired the "Apps for Office: Persist custom settings" example

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/office/Apps-for-Office-Persist-ddd4cb40#content

but I could not get any of the example work when used in Microsoft Project. When Project is closed and then reopened the setting are not perserved. 

Is there a recommnded way to say user settings?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:54 AM

Answers

• Dan: the problem with Project is that it still using a binary file format (and not XML, like the other  Office applications, hence we cannot store settings on them, hence the Settings object is not supported. :(

I recommend as the referred article describes to try an alternative such as cookies.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:41 PM

All replies

• A new area, I'll take a look into this tutorial when I'm free to see whether I can figure this out.

Regards,
    Fermin

Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Dan: the problem with Project is that it still using a binary file format (and not XML, like the other  Office applications, hence we cannot store settings on them, hence the Settings object is not supported. :(

I recommend as the referred article describes to try an alternative such as cookies.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Spoke with Dan offline. The LocalStorage options works great for Project, and only fails for him in one isolated case we are investigating further.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:36 PM