VS '11 does not work in high contrast personalize mode, or how you can still mess this up

General discussion

• For example the menu bar is all black. Try it. Personalize. Pick a HC color scheme/theme (bottom has a few), and notice how so few dialogs are visible... STILL. Headers clash with the background (if you change the background, you have to change the text color, too, same with text color, change it and you have to change the background. Seems like a simple thing to test. Oh, right, VS UI is not testable. Forgot. .. And why can't I color the solution explorer treeview, and other windows (talking non-HC mode now)? The treeview control can easily be colored to say, black background. I know, I do it myself. Fix it, or do a tv than can. Year after year goes by and still the same pretty archaic UI in VS. This didn't make it the first edit (everyone already knows the state of this board software - bad) And what happened to the "Window color and appearance" dialog? All that's left is just a very simple (as in, dumbed down) button panel with a few color choices, nothing at all useful. 7 dumbed it down from XP, and 8 takes it down a few notches again.
    Monday, December 05, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• @morgof - this developer preview is a very early preview and not optimized for the sort of things you are mentioning here.  Please be patient to re-examine this when later builds become available to the public (no, I cannot provide a timeline on that)
    Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:28 PM
  • [IMG]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2627/win98diditwithvista.png[/IMG]

Someone is sitll HALF-hard coding color in there. Some settings pages have it just as bad. The color system is dumbed down. I see this is not going to change. Good luck, guys. You will need a lot of it with this Win8 thing. And no, I do NOT want that box on the current line. And the font renders poorly. Several places I looed tha font size is also hard coded (small). I increased the "font" from 125% to 133% in a futile attempt to get a larger font, but no where in the system does this apply (lone exception is the text editor in vs11, the font in which is a bit oversized). Notice the menu font size between 8 and 7 in the pics. You need to stop testing on low-DPI if you want to see how lame-brain this version 8 is.

And in Windows 7 (below), everything else mostly the same (no quick launch, and no blasted box)

Win7 has limited control of color as it is. Many so-called 'defaults' in HC mode are nothing short of ... untested (for lack of anything that would otherwise print here).

And right, those tab CAPS are there for no good reason.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:44 AM