none
What is the best way to programmatically export or backup pst files? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking into ways to backup users pst files programmatically or schedule a backup.

I saw the pfbackup.exe addin but this requires the user to shut down outlook which I do not want to do. Copying the pst file on the hard disk requires the same thing - you need to close outlook. Is there anyway to use a timer in a c# addin application to programmatically back up .pst files?

Watson

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:52 PM

Answers

• You can certainly create any kind of application you want that runs on a timer to automate copying any file in Windows.  But there's nothing in the Outlook Object Model to facilitate copying a .pst file.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

• Marked as answer by Blast Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:57 PM

All replies

• You can certainly create any kind of application you want that runs on a timer to automate copying any file in Windows.  But there's nothing in the Outlook Object Model to facilitate copying a .pst file.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

• Marked as answer by Blast Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:57 PM
  • So the solution is to then write the addin in c# to automatically terminate outlook and then backup the pst by using System.IO ( assuming you want to backup during off hours )

Thats unfortunate.

Watson

• Edited by Blast Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:01 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:00 PM
  • there is a backup API in Windows itself that allows you to operate on files in use, but of course it has a risk that there is actually some lengty operation going on on that pst file while you are doing backup.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Backup/restore pst files with the aid of repair microsoft outlook 2003

Read http://www.pstrepairoutlook2003.pstrepairtoolbox.com

Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:46 PM