VSTS Build & Config files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently evaluating the possibility of migrating to VSTS build. Our problem is currently we have 3 builds of sort. One is for developers, one for UAT & one for production. After going through VSTS 2008 I found that we can create multiple builds, schedule them, deploy them, get their status, etc. But our main issue we wanted to address is missing.

The problem is the configuration files are different for above mentioned three scenarios. E.g. connectionStrings, some debug settings, URLs, etc. vary from development to UAT to production. Now every build has to take a different config file. How do I address such a scenario using VSTS Build?

Also how do we go about creating these files? Our developers normally copy & paste the configuration file of development to create config files for UAT & production. Many a times they forget to change few values or delete/add the ones which are not required/required. Are there any best practices for this?

(P.S. I have already gone through the P&P guide for VSTS. It spoke of a using config source as a solution but that would only work for 2 files. Our requirement is multiple config files).

Life is so beautiful!!!

Success,

Niraj

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:08 AM

Answers

• You could check all 3 config files into source control, but only map the appropriate file in the workspace mappings for the appropriate build definition.

Hope that helps,

Swaha

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:47 PM

All replies

• Please look at creating a different build definition for each of your 3 different build processes.

It was not clear to me what you are asking about creating config files. Are you talking about the TfsBuild.proj file? If not, can you elaborate on what these files are and how they get used in your build process?

Swaha

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Hi Swaha,

Creating 3 build definitions is simple. But my scenario is 3 different web.config or app.config of VS.NET solutions. Each build definition has to pick up a different file. How do I do that?

Life is so beautiful!!!

Success,

Niraj
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:17 PM
  • You could check all 3 config files into source control, but only map the appropriate file in the workspace mappings for the appropriate build definition.

Hope that helps,

Swaha

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:47 PM