none
Help needed to start Kinect programming RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My question might sound very basic, but as I don't have any backgroud it will be great if you can help me.

I brought XBox 360 (250GB HDD) with Kinect and now I want start programming Kinect (using C# & VS2010). Can I connect this Kinect device to my laptop?

Is there any link or article that will give me primary info.

Also are there any precautions I need to take to make sure that I do not mess up anything with the hardware and will make it unusable for playing games?

Thanks,
    Jayvardhan Patil
    http://codeforfuture.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:49 AM

Answers

• Yes you can use it on a laptop just make sure you dont plug in any usb devices and its plugged into the wall or fully charged as kinect requires a lot of power at points in processing and anything below 20% on battery probably wont even help me in connecting to the internet because mine wants to disable the internet connection on 20% and below or it doesnt work correctly.

I would not do HP laptops though because a relative i have got one and it is okay for normal tasks but not kinect programming (excluding the custom pc builders out their or people that customizied it before they bought it).

Try making sure you have a fairly nice graphics card (NVIDIA would be recommended but its your choice because thats what i use), 2 GB or ram or higher (I have 4GB),  and at least 100 GB or more if you plan to use video functions on the kinect and store video files on a hard drive or for testing.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:58 PM

All replies

• Yes you can use it on a laptop just make sure you dont plug in any usb devices and its plugged into the wall or fully charged as kinect requires a lot of power at points in processing and anything below 20% on battery probably wont even help me in connecting to the internet because mine wants to disable the internet connection on 20% and below or it doesnt work correctly.

I would not do HP laptops though because a relative i have got one and it is okay for normal tasks but not kinect programming (excluding the custom pc builders out their or people that customizied it before they bought it).

Try making sure you have a fairly nice graphics card (NVIDIA would be recommended but its your choice because thats what i use), 2 GB or ram or higher (I have 4GB),  and at least 100 GB or more if you plan to use video functions on the kinect and store video files on a hard drive or for testing.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Keep in mind, power is a loaded term. The keys for Kinect are USB bandwidth available on a given USB host controller, the CPU processing capabilities when running the device(can never have too much CPU MHz/Physical Processors), and available system memory for processing frames. All it takes is for one to be a bottleneck and it will have a ripple effect.

Graphics and hard drive are dependent on your end use of the data (display on screen or save to disk).

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Yes true carmine. Graphics card can also affect the kinect op in addition to ram and if you attempt to use two kinects on the same usb controller.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:35 PM