OutOfMemoryException RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving OutOfMemoryException errors in my Reporting Services instance that runs on the same server as the SQL Server instance. What is the recommended memory allocation for the SQL Server. Does Reporting Services use separate memory or does it draw from the SQL Server pool?
    Mike
    Monday, October 24, 2011 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi mschelstrate,

There are two primary memory configurations we recommend you change if you're constantly hitting memory thresholds:

• MemoryLimit: Its default is 60% of physical memory. Increasing the value helps Reporting Services handle more requests. After this threshold is hit, no new requests are accepted.
    • MaximumMemoryLimit: Its default is 80% of physical memory. But unlike the SQL Server 2008 R2 version, in SSRS 2005 when its threshold is met, it starts aborting processes instead of rejecting new requests.

While we do recommend memory configuration changes if you're constantly hitting memory thresholds, note that changing these values might create or exacerbate other resource contentions.

For you client is using SQL2005, one another possible reson I have posted above:one possible reason described here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909678

Lola

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by Lola Wang Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:32 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi mschelstrate,

Reporting Services use separate memory and can use all available memory by default. To allocate memory for Reporting Services, it usually depends on your overall envrionment and your usage requirement. You can refer this MSDN article for better dicision:Configuring Available Memory for Report Server Applications

For the OutOfMemoryException error, if you sre using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services or you use Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services, one possible reason described here:

Further assistance, please elaborate your error message and the specific operation.

Thanks,
    Lola

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:47 AM
  • I previously had set Maximum Memory for SQL Server to 14 GB out of a total of 16 GB. After I encountered the memory error, I figured that this probably did not leave enough memory for Reporting Services so I returned it to the default setting. Is this the recommended configuration?

The server has SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise installed. The client is using the SQQL2005 version (9.0) of the Report Viewer. Could this be causing the out of memory exceptions? Should I upgrade this to version 10.0?

Mike
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Hi mschelstrate,

There are two primary memory configurations we recommend you change if you're constantly hitting memory thresholds:

• MemoryLimit: Its default is 60% of physical memory. Increasing the value helps Reporting Services handle more requests. After this threshold is hit, no new requests are accepted.
    • MaximumMemoryLimit: Its default is 80% of physical memory. But unlike the SQL Server 2008 R2 version, in SSRS 2005 when its threshold is met, it starts aborting processes instead of rejecting new requests.

While we do recommend memory configuration changes if you're constantly hitting memory thresholds, note that changing these values might create or exacerbate other resource contentions.

For you client is using SQL2005, one another possible reson I have posted above:one possible reason described here:

Lola

• Marked as answer by Lola Wang Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:32 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:53 AM
  • I have SQL Server engine and Reporting Services running on the same machine. My actual question is how should I configure the memory for the SQL Server engine to leave enough memory for Reporting Services? Should I assign a defined amount of available physical memory to the engine or should I let the engine manage the memory?
    Mike
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:40 PM