Handling large messages in Biztalk 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends...

Very good morning!!!

In my new assignment, I have to work on building a custom ESB over BizTalk 2010 server. I am just wondering if someone can point me some good references where I can find that how BizTalk 2010 handles large messages? What are the bottlenecks and the solutions in order to handle large messages (say 100 MB size)? I already found one good article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560481.aspx but want to do more research on this subject.

Thanks in advance

Vinod

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:53 AM

Answers

• If you need to build a custom ESB then you shouldn't transfer large messages through BizTalk. This undermines the principle of an ESB. In an ESB you should aim for (more) small messages that handle a task by accessing multiple endpoints based on configuration.

I don't know your requirements, but it might be an option to use metadata messages with information about the large messages. Destination systems for example can pick it up from the location specified in the metadata instead. This doesn't overload BizTalk and will keep your performance at an acceptable level.

Jean-Paul Smit | Didago IT Consultancy
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    MCTS BizTalk 2006/2010 + Certified SOA Architect

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:36 AM

All replies