none
Windows Performance Counters overhead / performance affected RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In regards to Windows performance data collection and the overhead on the System I have the fallowing question.

Is there a system performance degradation if you enable DataCollection for a huge number of performance counters and if you do this also from 2-3 Data Collector set also with the same counters.

Trying to go overboard now but let`s say:

• Collecting data for each Processes / Counter / Instance  and other things..  let`s round this up at 20.000 Performance Counters
    • I would be collecting this each 5 seconds. What about if I go to each second?
    • Maximum size of each Data Collection 1 GB but will going to save multiple ones.
    • I would enable 2-3 of this Data Collection

Do you have any thought? And if there is a significant of load generated how I can actually estimate this?

Thank you,

Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, if you turn it up to the max, you will see a performance impact which will be due not so much to reading the counters per se as to persisting their values on disk. 

The best way to estimate the overhead is, in my opinion, to measure it on a test system with similar specs and similar workload.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Saturday, September 26, 2020 12:50 PM

All replies