none
.NET 4 Updates installing 6 times a day?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Two updates for .NET Framework 4 keep on and on downloading and installing successfully, but:

• everytime I close down they install again,
      • everytime I boot up they are available to install
      • everytime I connect to the internet they are available to download.

This has been going on for about two weeks and they are installing SUCCESSFULLY six or more times a day and yet they are always trying to download and install again. I cannot afford 6 x 40 MB of my download allowance to be squandered like this every day.

How can I get this behaviour to stop as otherwise I will have to turn off Windows Update and do everything manually. I tried uninstalling them, rebooting and installing again.

The Updates are:

1. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351) Download size: 9.0 MB
    2. Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217) Download size: 32.2 MB

Many Thanks

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can try this:

Follow the steps provided in the following article and check if that helps.

‘How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update’

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:11 PM
  • That didn't work at all, I'm afraid. I ran the utility and the fixit and it said that my Update database was corrupted. So it fixed it, detected the same updates, downloaded them and installed them, I rebooted and it has detected them both AGAIN.

So how can I stop Windows Update constantly deteecting and installing the same updates every time I connect to the web?

Cheers

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:55 PM
  • As it's a WU issue, I suggest you also post your problem in the MS Answers Win 7 WU forum, here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update

I'm sure the responders there will be able to help you.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Thanks. I have set Windows Update to hide the damn things and not download anything unless I say. At least there's still some user control left.

Cheers

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:48 AM