none
Why, when performing file comparisons, does Visual Studio (or vsDiffMerge.exe) allow editing for some file extensions but not others?

Question

• If I compare a .txt file or a .js file, I can edit directly in the comparison window.

If I compare a .sql file I cannot edit it.  There is a padlock icon on the tab header.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi mlh457_3,

I think you use certain Source control tool like the TFS in your VS, am I right?

I test it in my side using different files like the .txt, .cs or the .sql file with VS2015 and TFS2015, it really has this issue for the .sql file, we couldn't edit it in the comparison window, but other files work well.

One workaround is that double click the file in the Source Control Explorer window and edit it manually.

Since we could repro this issue, you can submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx,Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by marvhen Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Jack.

Yes, I use TFS, but the issue exists when comparing non-source controlled files as well.

Opening the file directly and editing works, but it doesn't lend the benefit of seeing the changes.

So far my best workaround is to temporarily change the file extension so I can open it in the difference viewer.

I have submitted the bug here.

Thanks!

• Edited by marvhen Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi mlh457_3,

I think you use certain Source control tool like the TFS in your VS, am I right?

I test it in my side using different files like the .txt, .cs or the .sql file with VS2015 and TFS2015, it really has this issue for the .sql file, we couldn't edit it in the comparison window, but other files work well.

One workaround is that double click the file in the Source Control Explorer window and edit it manually.

Since we could repro this issue, you can submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx,Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Jack.

Yes, I use TFS, but the issue exists when comparing non-source controlled files as well.

Opening the file directly and editing works, but it doesn't lend the benefit of seeing the changes.

So far my best workaround is to temporarily change the file extension so I can open it in the difference viewer.

I have submitted the bug here.

Thanks!

• Edited by marvhen Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Why was the bug removed? Is it fixed?

I do have the same issue with .fxh files

• Edited by Python4 Tuesday, July 04, 2017 1:05 PM added info about .fxh issue i have
    Tuesday, July 04, 2017 1:04 PM