Recommendations for third party controls RRS feed

• Question

• User-1833980242 posted

We are considering purchasing third party controls such as Telerik, Infragistics or ComponentOne.  I'd like to see if any one has any recommendations and any compelling reasons to buy one over the other.  This will be our first time getting these, so I'm not sure what the criteria should be used to choose one over the other.  There are probably additional things to consider when purchasing one of these, but this is what I've been able to think of:

• Visual appearance
    • Good documentation
    • Source code available
    • Support - such as a forum

Can anyone offer any suggestions on these vendors or any additional ones?  Are there any other things to consider when buying a control library?

Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:32 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

It really depends on what exactly you are looking for (as things like Visual Appearance are subjective) as well as which technologies you plan on working with (ASP.NET MVC, Web Forms, WPF, etc.). There are tons of different third-party vendors that handle components out there which you can see below :

I would encourage you to play around with the available documentation and demos for each of the components and determine initially which that you prefer the best. 

My Opinion

If I had to recommend one, it would be Telerik.

Telerik's components are probably one of the most well known components out there and they have spectacular customer service and support plus more controls than you could ever use. A license with them provides you with incredibly fast support both through their forums and using their built-in ticketing system. They provide frequent updates, patches and their documentation is some of the best that I have come across with regards to third-party component providers.

I've never had any issues with their components and if I encountered a feature or functionality that wasn't "built-in", their developers are glad to provide examples, workarounds and other assistance to help if you ever get "stuck". 

Their suite of tools can often be pricy, but I have always found it to be well worth it.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:42 AM