APPX deployment to Windows Mobile 10 device woes RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I've progressed up to building an .appx for both x86 as well as ARM using a cross-platform tool/framework (not Visual Studio 2015, although its also installed), but whereas I could install the x86 package in my Windows 10 PC using windows power shell, how do I install the ARM package to my Windows Mobile 10 device.

There is a subfolder called "Dependencies" with 3 .appx files in there, besides the app's .appx [specifically, myfirstrho6app.appx in the following commands]. The way I install the x86 package to my Windows 10 PC using Power Shell is to include the -dependencies parameter, like so :

Add-AppxPackage -Path "E:\myapp\bin\target\uwp\myfirstrho6app.appx" -DependencyPath "E:\myapp\bin\target\uwp\Dependencies\x86[Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.Debug.1.3.appx,Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx]"

Note : Here, Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.Debug.1.3.appx and Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx are files under Dependencies folder.

Any idea on how to deploy the ARM package to my Windows Mobile 10 mobile device? 

I tried using the Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 tool also, but it gives an error like :

Error- There is an error in XML document (2,2) when Deploy button is clicked.

Then I tried WinAppDeployCmd tool, like so :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86>WinAppDeployCmd install -file F:\myapp\bin\target\uwp\myfirstrho6app.appx -g 00000011-9036-a096-0000-000000000000

where 00000011-9036-a096-0000-000000000000 is my Windows Mobile 10 mobile device GUID obtained by executing "WinAppDeployCmd devices"

The output of the above command is :

Windows App Deployment Tool
    Version 10.0.0.0
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Opening connection to device at '00000011-9036-a096-0000-000000000000'.

Installing app...
    Disconnecting.

0x80131500 - Failed to install or update package: Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume D: because it is already installed to volume C:.
    0x80073cf9
    0x80131500 - Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume D: because it is already installed to volume C:.
    0x80073cf9

Note : volume C refers to my phone's memory and volume D refers to my phone's SD Card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, September 22, 2018 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi James et al,

I have good news. Tried one last time. I set new apps to install into my phone's main memory, not SD card. I copied the .appx to phone memory. Then tapped on it through file explorer on phone. It asks whether I'd like to install [appname] from [vendorname]. I tapped Yes. Then nothing, no message. I checked apps list, nothing. I shutdown and rebooted the phone. Lo and behold, the shiny new app appears in app list at the top (recent). I tap on it. It exits (crashes) once or twice after showing splash screen. I retry 3-4 times. Then it works. I feel its a lot slower than a .xap though.

Anyway, sorry for the nagging questions.

Would've been happier if I could also host it in the Store. But that's another story altogether.

Thanks for all the help. And I can also continue using my Lumia. Cheers!

• Marked as answer by Mark Nongkhlaw Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:24 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Mark,

It seems there is another case which has the same error https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/39058f2b-bdfe-4707-8ca5-9e4565832810/uwpwinappdeploycmd-error-windows-cannot-install-app-data-for-package-because-it-is-already?forum=wpdevelop

And there is a workaround for this: set the install app to SD card to set the install app to phone directly. Can you give this a test?

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 24, 2018 8:40 AM
  • @Barry, Yes I did stumble on that case before posting, but couldn't figure out the workaround

set the install app to SD card to set the install app to phone directly.

Sorry, but I didn't get you. Could you provide the exact syntax on how to use WinappDeployCmd to install app on "phone"(default "C:") ?

And how should I set the storage settings on my phone. Will it be Install new apps to Phone (as opposed to SD Card)? If yes, then I already tried that, but then the error messages are the same with the volumes interchanged, like so:

0x80131500 - Failed to install or update package: Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume C: because it is already installed to volume D:.
    0x80073cf9
    0x80131500 - Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume C: because it is already installed to volume D:.
    0x80073cf9

Monday, September 24, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Hello Mark,

Actually I'm thinking that you may need to uninstall the exist package from your phone and then set the installed apps to Phone. I don't mean a specific command. Your exist error seems tell us something is already installed which make your installation pending. So fresh content on your phone should be the first choice.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I just wanted to jump in here right quick and help Barry explain the problem and proposed workaround. 

The issue is due to the fact that you are trying to install your APPX on volume D. Your APPX contains a dependency package that is already installed on volume C. Because the dependency package is installed on volume C we can't install your package on volume D. In other words if a dependency package that your APPX uses is already installed on a different volume you can't install your APPX. 

This is a known limitation in the Mobile version of the OS when using the WinappDeployCmd. When installing from the store this should not happen. 

As a work around you can install your APPX on the volume that has the dependency package already installed.

I hope this helps,

James 

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:59 PM
  • Hi James,

Thanks!

As already mentioned in my response to Barry on 24th September, I already tried installing to volume C instead, but the error message in such a case is the same with the volume names reversed like so :

I already tried that, but then the error messages are the same with the volumes interchanged, like so:

0x80131500 - Failed to install or update package: Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume C: because it is already installed to volume D:.
    0x80073cf9
    0x80131500 - Windows cannot install app data for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe to volume C: because it is already installed to volume D:.
    0x80073cf9

I could try uninstalling Microsoft.NET.Native. Runtime from both volumes before reattempting to re-install the package, but then I'm not sure whether that would affect other already installed apps that might depend on the existence of the runtime. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it won't allow me to uninstall the runtime saying its needed by some other app.

Mark
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Hi Mark,

That doesn't make any sense. You should only be able to install dependency packages on volume C:. It sounds like the device is in a very strange state. Are you able to reproduce the problem on multiple devices or does this only occur on a single device? If this is a development device you might want to consider resetting it to factory and then attempt to install the app and dependency package to volume C:. If you try that and are still having problems let me know and I'll see what else we can figure out. 

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:44 PM
  • Hi James, this is the only Windows device I have and its my primary device which I use for calls, etc. everyday. Sorry, I cannot reset to factory :( 

I think the issue is with my .appx, but I can't see how I can attach the same here :(

Friday, October 5, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi James et al,

I have good news. Tried one last time. I set new apps to install into my phone's main memory, not SD card. I copied the .appx to phone memory. Then tapped on it through file explorer on phone. It asks whether I'd like to install [appname] from [vendorname]. I tapped Yes. Then nothing, no message. I checked apps list, nothing. I shutdown and rebooted the phone. Lo and behold, the shiny new app appears in app list at the top (recent). I tap on it. It exits (crashes) once or twice after showing splash screen. I retry 3-4 times. Then it works. I feel its a lot slower than a .xap though.

Anyway, sorry for the nagging questions.

Would've been happier if I could also host it in the Store. But that's another story altogether.

Thanks for all the help. And I can also continue using my Lumia. Cheers!

• Marked as answer by Mark Nongkhlaw Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:24 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:23 PM