WebMatrix says site already exists when I deleted it RRS feed

• Question

• User154499744 posted

I am trying to follow this tutorial.

http://www.asp.net/web-pages/videos/introduction/create-a-website-using-webmatrix

I started to create the site but then delete it to start over. When I try to create the site again, using the same name, it says that the site already exists. I suppose I can pick another name and move on, but wondering why WebMatrix thinks the site exists, when it seems to me I already deleted it.

Incidentally, I do see some folders that have this previous site name in Documents -> IISExpress -> config ->...

Does this have something to do with this? I don't know if I can hack delete these folders.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:54 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

When you manually delete the site (e.g. by deleting the folder containing the site files), you also need to delete its entry from the applicationhost.config file in Documents » IISExpress » config. There should be a <site> node for the site in question. Ideally, the best way to delete the site is to use WebMatrix to do it. When you do, choose the option to delete the site AND its content if you want to create a new site with the same name.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:02 AM

All replies

• User154499744 posted

Yeah, it looks like there were some files that remained in Documents -> IISExpress -> config ->...

I just renamed the folder and that seemed to allow me to create the site again under the previous name.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:32 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Yeah, it looks like there were some files that remained in Documents -> IISExpress -> config ->...

I just renamed the folder and that seemed to allow me to create the site again under the previous name.

In this situation, generally it's recommended to clean and rebuild your application or explicitly clear our your temporary files in bin folder.

If you solved this problem by yourself, please mark it as answer, our community members will focus on the threads unsolved. Thx.

Please let me know if you need any help.

With regards,

Angie

Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:08 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

When you manually delete the site (e.g. by deleting the folder containing the site files), you also need to delete its entry from the applicationhost.config file in Documents » IISExpress » config. There should be a <site> node for the site in question. Ideally, the best way to delete the site is to use WebMatrix to do it. When you do, choose the option to delete the site AND its content if you want to create a new site with the same name.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:02 AM