none
Cannot add a database to my project RRS feed

• Question

• I recently loaded Visual Studio 2008 Professional and have a database intensive project.  If I attempt to add an Access database or a Shapefile .dbf to the project using the "Add New Datasource ..." button, I receive the following error after I press "Next >" in the "Save the Connection String to the Application Configuration File" screen of the "Data Source Configuration Wizard" -- "An unexpected error has occurred.   Error Message:  Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.DataDesign.SyncDesigner.SyncFacade.SyncManager' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.DataDesign.SyncDesigner.DslPackage, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.  I have run the "Repair/Reinstall" option from the setup DVD with no change.  Any suggestions?  Meanwhile I have learned a great deal about doing everything manually--databinding my way through hundreds of data fields in multiple connected databases.  Any help would greatly speed up the progress and be very much appreciated.

Craig
    Salt Lake
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

• Turns out that after I closed all windows but the SP1 window, the patch launched and solved my problem.  It was a rather long install, but worked fine.  It is curious that the Windows Update wizard never picked up that this needed to be installed and indicated that all Microsoft products were up-to-date.  To me, this appears to be a bug that should be corrected.

Craig
    Salt Lake
    • Marked as answer by CraigWMiller Monday, December 21, 2009 5:21 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:21 PM

All replies

• On another forum they indicated that this issue is tied to SP1 for Visual Studio 2008.  I downloaded the patch from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en.  On attempting to run the patch I received the following error indicattion under "Incompatible processes check":  "Software Update Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Installation Wizard".  The "Next" button is greyed out and the patch installation is toally stopped at that point.  Does this mean that something about the Visual Studio SP1 update is incompatible with my Visual Studio installation? If so, how is this solved?  The software works fine on my clunky home computer but not here at work where I really need it.

Craig

Salt Lake
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Turns out that after I closed all windows but the SP1 window, the patch launched and solved my problem.  It was a rather long install, but worked fine.  It is curious that the Windows Update wizard never picked up that this needed to be installed and indicated that all Microsoft products were up-to-date.  To me, this appears to be a bug that should be corrected.

Craig
    Salt Lake
    • Marked as answer by CraigWMiller Monday, December 21, 2009 5:21 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:21 PM