none
Installing VS 2008 on Windows Vista Premium 32bit (swedish) RRS feed

• Question

• I mount an ISO file just like some of my collegs have done, rightclicking the autorun.exe incide and choose "Run as administrator". The installationprogram kicks in showing me the VS 2008 setup window were, out of three different choises, I can only choose the topmost one, "Install Visual Studio 2008". After 2 relatively quick loadingprocesses, I click next, check the "I have read and accepted the license terms." radiobutton and click next to be pressented with the screen wich causes my problem: the "Options page".
    Here I can select different features to install (default, full, custom), I can not change the "Product install path" becoss I have already installed "microsoft visual C# express edition" out of pure despair, I could change it before I did so.

To the problem: no matter what features I choose to install (default, full, custom), after clicking install an annoing error message occurs telling me "Some components must be installed in ... directory. Check that you have write permissions and enough space in that directory."!

I have installed service pack..
    Friday, February 8, 2008 8:23 AM

Answers

• If I understand you correctly, you may see a link during the installation dialog, the content of the link says like:

You cannot change the location of the component or its subcomponents because the component has already been stored in a different location, or it has a dependency on a file already stored in a different location.

The following programs are causing vertical integration to occur:

• <your VS express information list here>

To change the file path, you must uninstall the programs listed above and reinstall them in the location where you want to store the files shared with Visual Studio.

Thanks

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:56 AM
  • No Figo Fei - MSFT, I did not get any dialog of that kind. But thanks for trying Smile

After posting my question I've solved the problem. I solved it by simply using a DVD-ROM instead of an ISO.. same content in both.

I got the idea from reading a post about installing VS2005 were the problem occured when mounting a regular CD/DVD -ROM reader as if it was a virtual drive (why one now would want to do that).. =)
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:58 AM

All replies

• If I understand you correctly, you may see a link during the installation dialog, the content of the link says like:

You cannot change the location of the component or its subcomponents because the component has already been stored in a different location, or it has a dependency on a file already stored in a different location.

The following programs are causing vertical integration to occur:

• <your VS express information list here>

To change the file path, you must uninstall the programs listed above and reinstall them in the location where you want to store the files shared with Visual Studio.

Thanks

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:56 AM
  • No Figo Fei - MSFT, I did not get any dialog of that kind. But thanks for trying Smile

After posting my question I've solved the problem. I solved it by simply using a DVD-ROM instead of an ISO.. same content in both.

I got the idea from reading a post about installing VS2005 were the problem occured when mounting a regular CD/DVD -ROM reader as if it was a virtual drive (why one now would want to do that).. =)
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:58 AM