none
Command window exit rapidly & fail to hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everybody.I got a problem when I tried to enable a hibernate once/resume,and I follow the instruction here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms932932.aspx

It seems that the EMF RAM mode works well,but when I run the"xpepm -hibernate"command, the window appear only a flash and exit rapidly, and what's more,it didn't hibernate at all.

Other command like "xpepm -restart" is valid.

and I also fail to see the result of all "ewfmgr" command, the problem again, automatically close the window itself.

Is there any tip for me? Thank you very much……

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:51 AM

Answers

• Installing the image in a VM and then moving to real hardware is going to have problems. You need to have all the device drivers for the hardware installed for hibernation to work. The video driver is the critical piece. Without the correct video driver for the video chip the system will not go in to hibernation.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Guluru Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:01 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 9:58 PM
  • !!!!I solve that!Actually I have multiple boot on this virtual machine,while the other systems can enable horm. The difference is the Vmware tool installed offer them an advanced video driver:VMware SVGA II

so I custom a component from the VMX_SVGA inf.There were some problems when I did that but finally I added the component. It doesn't work well again(I believe that I repeatedly add other video driver component) but after I install it manually after the system is created and reboot that,everything is perfect.Thank you very much again!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:50 AM

All replies

• I add the CMD - Windows Command Processor component and it seems that the command run in cmd can be left on the screen.

and the error code for my failure in hibernation is clear now: Error 1141: The system BIOS failed an attempt to change the system power state

Actually I deploy this image on a Vmware virtul machine. Perhaps that's the reason? I find someone else experienced the similar problem but I can't find a solution for me……

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffd113a4-e57c-4d78-aac7-33580126be79/horm-and-vpc?forum=embeddedwindowscomponents

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2004/12/01/hibernate-once-resume-many-horm-in-a-nutshell/

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:51 AM
  • Installing the image in a VM and then moving to real hardware is going to have problems. You need to have all the device drivers for the hardware installed for hibernation to work. The video driver is the critical piece. Without the correct video driver for the video chip the system will not go in to hibernation.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:58 PM
  • I think you are right.

While I still work on a VM,it has a virtual video driver.Is that prevent the image from hibernating?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Correct. The VM video driver doesn't have the code to address a hibernation call.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:32 PM
  • !!!!I solve that!Actually I have multiple boot on this virtual machine,while the other systems can enable horm. The difference is the Vmware tool installed offer them an advanced video driver:VMware SVGA II

so I custom a component from the VMX_SVGA inf.There were some problems when I did that but finally I added the component. It doesn't work well again(I believe that I repeatedly add other video driver component) but after I install it manually after the system is created and reboot that,everything is perfect.Thank you very much again!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:50 AM