Which book is good for beginner Universal Apps

General discussion

• I have to develop Windows 8 Store Apps for PC and mobile (platform is Windows). I am new to Windows 8 Store App development and new to Windows 8 Mobile. I know that in Microsoft Virtual Academy have tutorial on Universal Apps.

Could you please recommend a good book for beginner in Universal Apps ? Thank you for your time and advise

I try to search in internet but it only suggest book for either Windows 8 Store App PC or Windows 8 Store App Mobile. I cannot find for Universal Apps

Note: I know C# language. I have experience in WPF and Windows Form development. I have a little bit experience in Xamarin.Android    I live in Malaysia

Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:23 AM

All replies

• Since Universal Apps are a pretty new thing there aren't so many books (maybe not a single one) out there yet. You should be able to get a lot of information online though. Here two links that should help you get started:

Building universal Windows apps for all Windows devices: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/building-universal-Windows-apps
    Build universal Windows apps that target Windows and Windows Phone: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/dn609832#Started

Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Hi etylatam,

Here is excellent tutorials in universal app development. 

Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:24 AM
  • On a quick search I don't see any physical books on Universal app development in XAML already published, although there are a few on pre-order. The basics are essentially the same as for Windows Store apps for Windows 8.1 so getting a book on Windows Store app development should serve you well.
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:56 PM
    Owner
  • I have been learning myself, and I have found "SamsTeach Yourself Windows 8.1 Apps with XAML and C# in 24 Hours" by Adam Nathan to be very helpful. I started from zero--no knowledge of XAML at all, very minimal experience with .NET--and found that reading this was time well spent.

If you buy the eBook (a PDF) from the publisher it is cheapest (and most useful).  The ISBN-13 is 978-0-672-33836-6

Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Dear Mr. Magnus (MM8),

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your time and effort. However, I have already read both website that you recommended and I feel I need more tutorial and guidance therefore I look for other alternative such as book.

Best regards,

etylatam

• Edited by etylatam Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:03 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Dear Mr. Prabath,

I think your link will show cannot find message.

Best regards, etylatam

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Dear Jaggist,

How should I address you ? Mr. Jaggist ?

Thank you for your reply. I will switch my search from Universal App book to "Windows 8 Store PC" for now until a new Universal Apps is published because no choice. I will compare SamsTeach Yourself Window 8.1 Apps with other books. I do have experience in XAML but not .NET    XAML is a great thing. Again, thank you Jaggist  :-)

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:14 PM