Refresh Selected Connection does not refresh the data RRS feed

• General discussion

• After uploading a spreadsheet  and configuring a schedule, the data in a workbook refreshes successfully.

We update data in the datasource.  We open the spreadsheet in the browser and in the ribbon click Data > Refresh Selected Connection.  Data does not refresh.  It seems to me this is by design.  Is this correct?

It seems like the option to Refresh Selected Connection applies to non-PowerPivot workbooks.  Is there a way to hide the Data tab choices for PowerPivot workbooks?

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Dude man,

It works fine in my local environment based on my test, could you please open the PivotTable in Excel to see whether the data has been retrieved into PowerPivot Windows from the external datasource, if not please click the Refresh All button to refresh it.

To your second question, we can hide this data tab in Excel, just click File tab on the menu, then select Options, then you will see Customize Ribbon, on the right there is pane call main tab, you can unselect any tab you don't want to see.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Challen,
    I wonder if you are running Office Web Apps.  This may be causing different results.  We are not running Office Web Apps, just Excel Services.
    1.  Are you refreshing the data by clicking on Data > Refresh Selected Connection in the browser or are you opening the spreadsheet in the client application, Excel and refreshing the data your local Excel?

2.  We are not trying to hide the data tab in Excel running on the desktop.  We are trying to hide the data tab running in the browser.  When I click File, there is no "Options."

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Dude,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:59 PM
  • No, it is no longer an issue.  I've instructed my users to set up schedules or download the file if they want to update the data from a data source.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:22 PM