none
Timeline for release of "repeating rows" abstraction in SDK - why not just use Aspose.Words? RRS feed

• Question

• If you want to create a dynamic growing table with the existing SDK you need to do a lot of hard coded lookups of the XML (see link below). Apparently the SDK will eventually have abtsraction which will make this easier (or am I missing the point and it already has?). Perhaps someone could tell me if this bit of functionality will be extended in the near future?

Anyway, why shouldn't I just use something like Aspose.Words to generate dynamic tables? I'd rather use the SDK but it looks a lot more complicated and requires much more code.

Embedding repeating elements in a schema-mapped document

Monday, August 11, 2008 2:00 PM

All replies

•  

This functionality is huge...I can not believe it wasn't implemented in V1.  How about a table content control???  It seems so obvious...why wasn't this included?  The lack of such a thing is the only major thing preventing us from really creating some useful document automation/assembly apps.

Instead of using custom controls, has anyone tried the xml literal approach using embedded expressions in Vb.net - the Beth Massi approach Smile

Or, how about embedding an excel object - that I believe DOES have the ability to dynamically expand - into a word doc...would this work?

I've looked at aspose.words also, but a drawback to using that - besides the licensing of course - is that i think you have to flatten out your data.  It doesnt seem to like more complex object graphs as a data source and you have to pass it an ado.net table object - which is slightly annoying when your using business objects.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:13 PM
  • You can use business objects, not ado.net in Aspose.Words. You just need to implement the IMailMergeDataSource interface over your collection of business objects. There's been even talks about making an example of LINQ and Aspose.Words mail merge using this interface.

But the other aspect - your are right. Aspose.Words wants you to flatten the data. One mail merge logically equals one data table. However, with some document stitching you can do quite nice parent-child mail merges in Aspose.Words. There is a demo that creates a Product Catalog (you know product category - product) and also Sales Invoice demo that just uses three separate mail merges (one for order, one for order details, one for order totals).

But other than that, yes, we do plan to improve the reporting engine in aspose.words, so check back from time to time.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:10 PM