none
Custom bootstrap application

Question

• Hi,

I am creating a VS2005 setup project. For this I am bootstrapping my DB installer to the setup project. I have created the "Product.xml" and "Package.xml".
    The requirement is to prepare another set of the same in which "Product.xml" will contain different set of arguments that are to be passed to the bootstrapper.
    When I create another folder in "Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages" folder. But I am not able to get 2 items listed in the Pre Requisites window in Visual studio. Am I missing anything?? From where does Visual studio get the name that is to be displayed in the Pre Requisites dialog??
    Please help me out.

Thanks,
    Neela
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Neelakantan,

> Can you let me know what has to be done to change the display name?

The display name of the redistributable is in the package.xml under the culture-specific sub folder. For example, the c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages\SqlExpress\en\package.xml contains the following information:

<Strings>
        <String Name="DisplayName">SQL Sever 2005 Express Edition</String>
    </Strings>
    The displayed name of SqlExpress redistributable in the VS prerequisite dialog is "SQL Sever 2005 Express Edition".

Open the package.xml of your custom redistributable and change the value in the DisplayName xml node.

Hope this helps.
    If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Neelakantan,

Did you use the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator to create your bootstrapper packages, and did you close and re-open Visual Studio after adding the folders?

RobinS.
    GoldMail.com

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:31 PM
  • No Robin.
    I havent tried with bootstrapper manifest generator. Since it is going to only a small change in the argument, I did not use that.
    Am able to see the bootstrapper listed in the VS pre requisite dialog. Silly me not to try re-opening VS before posting the query.
    Once small problem that am still having is that, both the boot strappers are listed under the same name in the pre requisite dialog.
    Can you let me know what has to be done to change the display name? I would be greatly helpful.

Thanks
    Neelakantan.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Hi Neelakantan,

> Can you let me know what has to be done to change the display name?

The display name of the redistributable is in the package.xml under the culture-specific sub folder. For example, the c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages\SqlExpress\en\package.xml contains the following information:

<Strings>
        <String Name="DisplayName">SQL Sever 2005 Express Edition</String>
    </Strings>
    The displayed name of SqlExpress redistributable in the VS prerequisite dialog is "SQL Sever 2005 Express Edition".

Open the package.xml of your custom redistributable and change the value in the DisplayName xml node.

Hope this helps.
    If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:45 AM