none
How do you use ReadyHosting's myLittleTools? RRS feed

• Question

• A client I do some work for occasionally, has normally wanted me to add links to various partner websites. These have all been pretty small over the years I’ve done this work for him, like make 5 at most. Well now he’s hit me with about 2 dozen partners that he wants a link to. When it gets to this point I think of databases.

I created a MS SQL Server database on Ready Hosting’s server, associated with my client’s account. (Got his permission before doing so.) Then I created a user for that, so that I could get into it. Ready Hosting uses something called “myLIttleTools” for managing and administering one’s SQL Server databases on their servers. So I tried going into it, entering the credentials that I created. But it refuses to allow me to log in. I get the following error message:

“Error -2147217843

Login failed for user ‘MyID'.

Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=ReadyHostingServer;Initial Catalog=ClientDB;User Id=MyID;Password=MyPassword;Connect Timeout=120;”

(Clearly I’ve changed the credentials here; they’re not what I’ve created.)

Two days ago I opened a help ticket with them. Still haven’t heard from them.

So I’m asking here, does anyone have any experience with SQL Server database management on ReadyHosting? How am I supposed to log in when it refuses to accept the credentials for the user I created on it? They want you to use this “myLittleTools” thing, but WOW how do you use that when you’re prevented from even getting into the door?

Rod

Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:11 PM

All replies

• You are not asking in the correct place. This is an Expression Web forum, not a ReadyHosting forum. (It's entirely possible no one else on this forum uses that host.)  Ask them (do they have a forum, or FAQ?), or ask them where to find documentation on that tool (I've heard of myLittleAdmin, but not myLittleTools), if it's not a generic one you can find information on by googling.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, March 20, 2015 2:30 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:11 AM
  • I've never seen ReadyHosting mentioned in this forum. While it is possible, I will be surprised if anyone here has experience with it.

In any case, as Kathy said, you need to look at ReadyHosts documentation - there should be instructions on what exactly the connection string and process is for connecting, and making sure Users have adequate permission.

And, if you cant get a response from them, you might want to consider a different host.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Friday, March 20, 2015 2:48 AM
  • I see something wrong with the user id. I guess is nothing to do technically. Try logging with windows authentication.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Windows authentication?  No. Logging into a database on your host has nothing to do with Windows.  A hosting server would not have any clue about your computer credentials.  (Nevermind the obvious fact that not all users of a hosting account are Windows users.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, March 20, 2015 6:59 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Readyhosting is still around? They were a really good host back at the turn of the century then were bought by a company that proceeded to hire incompetents and became totally unreliable. I'd have thought they folded a decade ago.

As others said, this is an issue to be resolved through Readyhosting's support personnel. EW is not really deigned for managing database servers. If their connection permits it you can use the MS SQL tools to manage remotely (doubt they allow it though) and most people use MS Web Developer Express for their database work on small websites not EW.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, March 23, 2015 1:41 AM
  • ... most people use MS Web Developer Express for their database work on small websites not EW.

Actually, that would probably be "Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express."  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:33 PM