Strange Volume showing up in FBWF Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know what this volume is and if it needs to be protected?  Thanks!

• Moved by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:30 PM Move to WES7 forum
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:14 PM

Answers

• No, it doesn't need to be added.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Kirko7 Monday, April 2, 2018 3:17 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 4:17 PM

All replies

• What partitions show up in disk manager?

Is this for WES2009 or WES7? If WES7 do you have bitlocker in the image and is the boot partition?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:19 PM
  • It's WES7 and I have 1 physical SSD with 2 partitions (C: for WES7 and D: for our company stuff).

No bitlocker since I'm going to use FBWF.

I think I'm missing "Disk Management" component (by the way, perhaps you know what it is from the top of your head) so can't really look it up in GUI.

I wonder if it's some "residue" from USB stick I used to throw WES7 image on this computer.

Thanks!

• Edited by Kirko7 Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Moved the post to the WES7 forum. Include the first 3 packages under Devices and Printers.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Maybe the boot partition? As far as i remember Windows may automatically create a separate boot partition. What does diskpart tell (command line: diskpart -> select disk 0 -> list partition). I will not wonder if three partitions are shown there.
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:43 AM
  • I thought so too but I don't see any partitions other than the ones I mentioned above.  I even made sure to manually delete all partitions during setup.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Man, it's a strange one.  I installed Disk Management component and as I expected, there's only 1 Disk and 2 Partitions:

Disk 0

C: NTFS, System, Boot, Active, Primary Partition

D: NTFS, Primary Partition

So what the heck can this be? I'd like to know if this has to be protected by FBWF.  Found something interesting in registry.  I searched for the string I circled in the original post and I found references to this string in these registry locations.  I hope this helps!  Thank you!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}\##?#Ramdisk#RamVolume#

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Ramdisk\RamVolume

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\DeviceClasses\{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}\##?#Ramdisk#RamVolume#

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Ramdisk\RamVolume

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}\##?#Ramdisk#RamVolume#

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Ramdisk\RamVolume

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-930224916-2332652933-508427227-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\CPC\Volume

• Edited by Kirko7 Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:28 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Do you have the registry filter in the image? If so this might be the RAMdisk for the registry filter.

It has been a long time since I use the FBWF GUI tool.

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Do you have the registry filter in the image? If so this might be the RAMdisk for the registry filter.

It has been a long time since I use the FBWF GUI tool.

Yes, I do have Registry Filter.  I'm not currently using it and included just in case (will remove if I won't find a need for it).

So if I find this related to Registry Filter, should this be protected by FBWF?  Thank you very much!

Edit:  I just noticed in Disk Defrag GUI "REGFDATA" Disk.  Does it basically confirm your suspicion?

• Edited by Kirko7 Friday, December 23, 2016 3:39 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 2:07 PM
  • No, it doesn't need to be added.

• Marked as answer by Kirko7 Monday, April 2, 2018 3:17 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 4:17 PM