Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tool English, 64-bit (x64) says i need to have a file called 'App Data' but i dont

Question

• I try to set-up ' Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tool English, 64-bit (x64) ' 

it says  when i go and look for that 'App Data' it isn't there

it's not in here

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE? 

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:01 PM

Answers

• App Data isn't a file, its a hidden sub directory.  Change the folder view options to show hidden files and folders and you should see it.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by Niall_96 Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:54 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:15 PM

All replies

• App Data isn't a file, its a hidden sub directory.  Change the folder view options to show hidden files and folders and you should see it.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by Niall_96 Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:54 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:15 PM
  • I try to set-up ' Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tool English, 64-bit (x64) ' 

it says 

This is probably equivalent to   "Cannot execute  %TEMP%\Rar$EX00.770\setup.exe"

So, how did you get that file?  Which OS are you using when you see this message?  One possibility is that you downloaded it but before using it you might need to  Unblock  it.   Or perhaps you should have unblocked whatever it was that you downloaded that created that.  Etc.  Also, you don't need to see hidden directories to use them.  E.g., you can use  Alt-d and AutoComplete in an Address bar to drill down into them.

FWIW the way that I did that install is first installed the W8 DP without tools into its own partition and then used W8's ISO mount feature to execute an install of the W8 DP with tools.  Executing that setup.exe replaced that partition.   So, if you are trying to do this from another OS it may be a good thing that it is failing for you.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:03 PM