none
Create a summary task for tasks not directly under the summary task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I have a project that is broken down into phases, Initiate, Plan, Implement, Monitor.  Under each of these phases I have tasks related to each work stream and the appropriate phase.  What I need is another summary task that rolls up each work streams total duration and % complete.  Here is an example of the plan currently.  In the list below Software A: Initiate is a sub task to Initiate Phase, and Task 1 is a sub task to Software A: Initiate, etc.  

Initiate Phase:

Software A: Initiate

Task 1

Task 2

Software B: Initiate

Task 1

Task 2

Planning Phase:

Software A: Plan

Task 1

Task 2

Software B: Plan

Task 1

Task 2

I need a summary of the duration of Software A: Inititate and Software A: Plan and the percentage complete.  I am also am using the data for the overall project of how long the Initiate Phase is and the % Complete so I don't want to reorganize the plan.

Would some sort of custom field work for this?  A macro?  I am using MS Project Professional with MS Project Online.

Thank you.

-Mollie

• Edited by Spirito96 Friday, December 18, 2015 11:17 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2015 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In a custom text field such as Text1, then:

1. Insert the column
    2. Right click its title
    3. Select Custom Fields
    4. Rename the field Stream
    5. Click the Lookup button and enter the names of all streams

Now enter the correct stream against all tasks. You can create a Group to get stream totals and filter by stream. No need for separate summary tasks at all.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:18 AM
  • Hi!

That is great!  Just what I needed but now I need to report using those stream totals.  I am loading the project into MS Project Online and then using EPM Pulse (a online dashboarding tool) with the online version.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Monday, December 21, 2015 1:16 PM
  • This is not likely the answer you want but there it goes...

This is one of the reasons that summary tasks by phase are difficult. Your primary breakdown (summary task structure) should generally be by 'deliverable' or by physical product, not by phase.

Software A

initiate A

Task 1

Task N

Plan A

Task 1

Task n

Build A

etc

Then you can put in a custom field to align tasks to a given phase. The nice this about this is that if a task gets delayed to a different 'phase' you can just change the field. Then you can group on the 'phase' field if you need to see that kind of breakdown.

This would require a pretty big adjustment in your breakdown. The shorter term answer is Rods for sure

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP Principal Architect Projectified Consulting

Monday, December 21, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Group By the custom field and you should be able to see that data.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP Principal Architect Projectified Consulting

Monday, December 21, 2015 5:11 PM