Deploying software for different customers RRS feed

• Question

• I've developed a plugin for Outlook using .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008. I've already deployed the software to several companies, and more are yet to come. The project contains a Settings class:

public class SettingsData
      {
        public string URL = "http://www.somesite.com/companyname";
      }

The given URL is different for every customer/company to which we want to deploy the software.

The problem is that this makes it very hard to deploy upgrades to all our customers, because I need to re-publish the package after changing the given code for every customer.

Is there an easy way to create deployment packages for every customer ?

Thanks in advance, kind regards,

Mathew Maes

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Matthew,

Generating an updated app.config per customer is easy; then send them the updated app.config.

Kind regards,
    Tom de Koning

PS: you could also use T4 templating to generate config files per customer; T4 works with a base template to generate output using placeholders. Have a look here

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    • Proposed as answer by Tom de Koning Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, November 19, 2010 5:14 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Matthew,

Why not use an app settings file?

Kind regards,
    Tom de Koning

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Monday, November 8, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Hi Tom,

I've been looking into that. I know how to access the Application Settings from within code, but what should I do next ?

Let's say I created a folder with different app.config files, i.e.: company1.config, company2.config, company3.config, etc...

Is there a way to publish packages for each individual company ? I don't want to go over the publish process for each customer...

Kind regards,
    Mathew

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

Generating an updated app.config per customer is easy; then send them the updated app.config.

Kind regards,
    Tom de Koning

PS: you could also use T4 templating to generate config files per customer; T4 works with a base template to generate output using placeholders. Have a look here

• Proposed as answer by Tom de Koning Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, November 19, 2010 5:14 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:32 PM