My suggestions and first impressions for W8

General discussion

• I Ve installed 8 that i was patiently waiting on an Acer iconia tab w500 that i bought for that knowing that w7 was mot really adaptated for it, and yeah it's really good...

Monday, October 03, 2011 11:44 AM

All replies

• Thanks, on behalf of all of us here.
    Irfan
    Monday, October 03, 2011 12:53 PM
  • 1) I'm very happy of the new keyboard, I've used several touch screen with W7 but was not easy at all.

Remarks : Is there a way to make it disappear or contrary when u decide it...

2) There is no way to pin an application on main window, with a tablet like iconia tab, without external keyboard or mouse.

It should be possible to open a context menu on icon, with an access to left or right choice.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:19 PM
  • The W500 is a fantastic little tablet, I never tried W7 on mine I installed W8 the day I picked up the W500 (I bought the w500 just to try out W8 and Metro development).

I have some possible answers to your questions:

1) if you mean the on screen / soft / virtual keyboard you 'should' be able to make it appear if you click in any text field on the screen BUT I've noticed that for rich text edit fields (e.g. the field on this forum where you type your post) you may have to click a few times in the top left area of the text area in order for the keyboard to popup. To make the onscreen keyboard disappear you can either a) click on any area of the main screen as long at is not an edit field or b) at the bottom right of the onscreen keyboard there is a keyboard button, click this - it allows you to change to some variations of keyboards and one of the options is a box with a down arrow - this slides the keyboard out of site

2) Back in a minute, just going to try this without keyboard/mouse...

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:28 PM
  • back again...

To try out issue 2 (pinning application to start screen) I added 'Notepad' as a tile, here's how I did it without using either keyboard or mouse:

Swipe from the right edge to bring up the Search charm, then type Notepad

Notepad appeared on the left in the search results area

Click/hold and flick down the Notepad result (like you are trying to quickly move the Notepad down about 1cm)

This should bring up a toolbar and one of the options is PIN and clicking that will add the Notepad application to the far right of your tiles on the Start Screen. I'll be honest this 'click and flick' action took me a few attempts so keep trying.

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:37 PM