Where should I place the backup tapes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

This is not a technical question.

I am curious to know where is a proper place for my daily backup tapes. I hav a backup tape with the most recent full backup and differentical backup and several  log backup . we use one tape per day. so It should be 30 tapes for a month then the tape with oldest data will be erased and load new backup data.

my question is where I should place these tapes.

some people think it is not safe to place the tape in the office in case of fire or theft. maybe a fire-resistent safe can work. is it the case?

other people argue that it is not legal to let employee carry the backup tape to their home.

please leave your words regarding this issue. I know it is relating the company security policy. just want to know is there any other choices.

your ideas are appreciated.Thanks

cn2500

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Offsite storage in a secure area is your best bet. You're supposed to store the data in such a way that any natural disasters that would wipe out your servers would not be close enough to the offsite storage facility to also take it out. This is obviously the best scenario however may not be feasible. I would look into some type of secure offsite backup facility.

Taking the tapes home with the employee may or may not at your employer be considered "proper" however I would not do this AT ALL. Worst comes to worst, some sort of fire and water proof safe in a secure area near your work could do in a pinch.

Hope this helps,
    Sean
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Offsite storage in a secure area is your best bet. You're supposed to store the data in such a way that any natural disasters that would wipe out your servers would not be close enough to the offsite storage facility to also take it out. This is obviously the best scenario however may not be feasible. I would look into some type of secure offsite backup facility.

Taking the tapes home with the employee may or may not at your employer be considered "proper" however I would not do this AT ALL. Worst comes to worst, some sort of fire and water proof safe in a secure area near your work could do in a pinch.

Hope this helps,
    Sean
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Sean.

more opinions are welcome.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:38 PM