none
Does network monitor work on Windows Core? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have several Windows 7 / 2008R2 machines running in our mixed environment together with 2003/XP boxes. The DC's are running 2008R2. The 2003 & XP  boxes are working as intended, however, occasionally, the 2008R2 / Windows 7 boxes are all having the same issue, both performing the actual login (or running scheduled tasks that needs to be authenticated as a domain user: There is no trust relationship between the computer and the domain....since it is only happening every now and then and I cannot force it or reproduce it at will I have been on the hunt for one of the faulty machines and since I am guessing that this has to do with the "external" infrastructure, such as DC (authentication) or DNS I wanna do network tracing on the machine that I have found. Problem is: It is running Core - so the million dollar question is? Is network monitor working to install on Windows Core and assemblying logs from? If not, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks...

br4tt3
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• You should be able to install using the /q switch which should install netmon silently.  Then you can do a capture using the command line NMCap.  Just remember you need to run NMCap as admin OR log out and back in.  Also keep in mind that any capture on a busy server can cause a load.  Keep track of the server performance and the command line "Pending Count" output to make sure your machine is able to keep up with the traffic load.  If it isn't, you can look at some of the blog articles on how to help capture in busy server environments.

Thanks,

Paul

• Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:49 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:25 PM