none
Should I Ignore all these Errors? RRS feed

• Question

• I am brand new to Office App Development. I started a new VS 2012 Office App Project for creating a Mail App. Doing nothing to the code (except removing the comments for local debugging as indicated by the template file) I hit F5 and I am immediatly bombarded with JavaScript errors from my Exchange Server.

1. Can I safely ignore these errors or am I risking some failure in the future when I try to deploy my code into production?

2. If I can ignore them, how can I tell VS to stop breaking on them? It's a pain to have to click Ignore 4 times for every test run.

Here are the errors.

'iexplore.exe' (Script): Loaded 'Script Code (Windows Internet Explorer)'.

Exception was thrown at line 147, column 148 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/jquery-1.4.3.js

0x800a139e - JavaScript runtime error: SyntaxError

Critical error was detected at line 1, column 1 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/auth/logon.aspx?url=https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/userspecificresourceinjector.ashx&reason=0.

SCRIPT1002: Syntax error

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 323219 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.core.framework.js

0x800a1391 - JavaScript runtime error: '_u' is undefined

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 329199 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.core.storage.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property '$3C' of undefined or null reference

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 392145 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.boot.viewmodels.js

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 271774 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.core.controls.js

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 185948 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.core.controls.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to set property 'TempTemplate' of undefined or null reference

Unhandled exception at line 1, column 185948 in https://pug.mycompany.com/owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/scripts/microsoft.exchange.clients.owa2.client.core.controls.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to set property 'PrimaryView.Mouse' of undefined or null reference

Matthew McDermott, MVP SharePoint

Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Matthew, Cindy,

Based on the URLs shown, I believe the errors you're seeing are actually not specific to your app.  Rather, when VS starts debugging (and when IE is your default browser), VS enables script debugging errors to surface.  Sometimes, in certain configurations of Exchange, there might be some uncaught exceptions that are thrown as a result -- exceptions that are thrown in other cases as well, but are only brought to the surface because VS is attached to the IE process.  The errors are are fired long before your actual app is loaded, so from that standpoint, they are safe to ignore.

How you get to ignore them is a different question, however.  Debugging against the rich client (where there is no Outlook Web App being loaded) would be one way; to do so, set the Start Action in the properties of the app (see this post).  Alternatively, if you have an non-IE browser (e.g., Chrome) installed on your computer, you can set it as a default browser and then Visual Studio's F5 would launch into it.  Note, though, that in the case of a non-IE browser, you would lose the ability to set breakpoints from within VS -- instead, you would need to set them within the F12 web tools of the browser.

Hope this helps, and thanks for bringing up this issue to our attention.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew,

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time.

Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Hi Matthew,

>> Can I safely ignore these errors or am I risking some failure in the future when I try to deploy my code into production? <<

No, I don’t think we could ignore these errors. From the error message, I noticed that the jQuery version is very low (1.4.3). In Office App project template, the default jQuery version is 1.8.2, could you try to upgrade your jQuery to this version and see whether your issue would be resolved.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Hmm, I don't control the version of JQuery on the Exchange Server. Again, these errors are coming from the dynamically loaded scripts that result from conecting to Exchange. I will try running this on Office 365 to see what version of JQuery comes from that.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Hmm, I don't control the version of JQuery on the Exchange Server. Again, these errors are coming from the dynamically loaded scripts that result from conecting to Exchange. I will try running this on Office 365 to see what version of JQuery comes from that.

Matthew,

I also meet this issue.

Jeffery, Could you share one sample code that doesn't show this kind of error?

I think maybe there are some settings is wrong to trigger this issue.

Best Regards,

Cindy Fan 

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Add the other settings of mine

visual studio 2012

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:03 AM
  • Hi Matthew, Cindy,

Based on the URLs shown, I believe the errors you're seeing are actually not specific to your app.  Rather, when VS starts debugging (and when IE is your default browser), VS enables script debugging errors to surface.  Sometimes, in certain configurations of Exchange, there might be some uncaught exceptions that are thrown as a result -- exceptions that are thrown in other cases as well, but are only brought to the surface because VS is attached to the IE process.  The errors are are fired long before your actual app is loaded, so from that standpoint, they are safe to ignore.

How you get to ignore them is a different question, however.  Debugging against the rich client (where there is no Outlook Web App being loaded) would be one way; to do so, set the Start Action in the properties of the app (see this post).  Alternatively, if you have an non-IE browser (e.g., Chrome) installed on your computer, you can set it as a default browser and then Visual Studio's F5 would launch into it.  Note, though, that in the case of a non-IE browser, you would lose the ability to set breakpoints from within VS -- instead, you would need to set them within the F12 web tools of the browser.

Hope this helps, and thanks for bringing up this issue to our attention.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks for the clarity of your answer. It would be amazing to be able to ignore errors from files outside of my project. This process of actually having to use the mouse to click Continue for each error adds to the frustration of debugging these "Apps". Here's hoping someone on your team is thinking ahead about features like this.

Thanks again for the answer.

Matt

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Matt, I understand, and the issue is something that is on our radar.  In the vast majority of cases you should not be hitting this for mail apps, unless something is strangely configured.  But when it does strike, I fully understand the pain. 

Hopefully the workarounds (either using the rich Outlook client or using a different browser) can ease it.

- Michael

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:19 PM