How to send bulk mail using Mailto tag RRS feed

• Question

• User-1701946627 posted

Hi All,

I want to call the mailto function with more than 500 recipients.

If it is less amount of recipients it is working fine... But when it large it doesn't work...

Please note I can't use SMTP mail, since the requirement is like this... I just want to open Outlook with more than 500 recipients.....

Please help me..

Thanks..

Friday, September 18, 2015 11:08 AM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

Generally what we do in these situations is we create a web form with a rich text box.  In the rich text box is where they compose their email.  If you are using outlook that means you should be using Exchange.  Why can't your mail admin create a email group for you to send to, then the load is handled by exchange instead of your app. Also it would take much less time for he/she to set up an exchange group.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 1:35 PM
  • User1428246847 posted

Yes..I tried that directly... It's accepting more than 500 email ids.. But when I try the same no. of email ids via mailto tag it is not opening the outlook and it doesn't throw any error message as well.

OK, that excludes outlook and the mail server. Time to look at the mailto. I did a search for mailto limitations and nobody seems to be able to find a limitation in the spec; however the it seems to be acknowledged that browsers can impose a limitation.

You can start e.g. reading http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13317429/mailto-max-length-of-each-internet-browsers; one of the links leads to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7459327/mailto-guideline-and-character-limitation/7459346#7459346 and the last post contains a workaround with javascript that might work for you.

Thanks for an interesting question (better than all those nullreference excptions :-))

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:50 PM

All replies

• User1428246847 posted

And I assume that you tested if it works in Outlook itself? And you can send to 500plus recipients. To be honest, I don't think that the mailto has the limitation; did you check if all 500plus recipients were added in the To field?

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:12 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

It could be the email server throttling how many recipients you can send to. The limitation is probably set to ensure that spamming from the mail server is not possible.  What you could do is send email out in batches of 450 recipients per blast.  Would require a loop structure with a counter to keep track of how many have been emailed before starting the next batch of emails.  You may also need to implement a timer function to wait a minute before bursts instead of emailing the world population in one shot.  The blacklisting servers on the Internet could think you a spammer and block your emails.

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:45 PM
  • User-1701946627 posted

Thanks for your reply wim...

Yes..I tried that directly... It's accepting more than 500 email ids.. But when I try the same no. of email ids via mailto tag it is not opening the outlook and it doesn't throw any error message as well.

Plz help...

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:18 PM
  • User-1701946627 posted

Hi bb,

Thanks for your reply... But the problem is user has to type the content of the message for each batch (Correct me, if i'm wrong).

But i need to populate all the email address in outlook in one shot....

Plz help me on this.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:22 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

Generally what we do in these situations is we create a web form with a rich text box.  In the rich text box is where they compose their email.  If you are using outlook that means you should be using Exchange.  Why can't your mail admin create a email group for you to send to, then the load is handled by exchange instead of your app. Also it would take much less time for he/she to set up an exchange group.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:35 PM
  • User1428246847 posted

OK, that excludes outlook and the mail server. Time to look at the mailto. I did a search for mailto limitations and nobody seems to be able to find a limitation in the spec; however the it seems to be acknowledged that browsers can impose a limitation.

You can start e.g. reading http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13317429/mailto-max-length-of-each-internet-browsers; one of the links leads to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7459327/mailto-guideline-and-character-limitation/7459346#7459346 and the last post contains a workaround with javascript that might work for you.

Thanks for an interesting question (better than all those nullreference excptions :-))

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:50 PM