Is UWP support for Xamarin.Forms going to have a slow and painful death RRS feed

• Question

• User302441 posted

So have to ask,

In VS2019 there is no option to create the project with UWP only iOS and Android. In Xamarin.Forms new features such as Visual and Shell only support iOS and Android.

Slow death march for UWP? Sounds like silverlight all over again.

Guys, come clean early and soon or we will need to look for yet another provider.

Monday, March 11, 2019 8:47 AM

All replies

• User375558 posted

I'd agree. I need a UWP as well as android support.

Monday, March 11, 2019 9:24 AM
  • User345329 posted

I think Xamarin's (and Microsoft's) message is clear: UWP support is going to be dropped soon.

If Xamarin.Forms will only support Android and iOS, then it's time to start searching for better alternatives.

Monday, March 11, 2019 11:38 AM
  • User89714 posted

@DavidOrtinau - Can you provide a definitive answer about XF UWP support going into the future (say the next 2 years minimum, ideally longer)?

Monday, March 11, 2019 11:48 AM
  • User329360 posted

I have a large Xamarin App running on UWP (Surface), iOS and Android. Dropping support for UWP will hurt the Surface market which is a great success for Microsoft. I can't understand why they would drop this support.

I get why they won't support Windows Phone, but UWP is a large market. Hopefully they will re-think this decision.

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:55 PM
  • User235975 posted

Hi

Today I found On xamarin blog

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/xamarin/shell-xamarin-forms-4-0-getting-started/

On FAQ section:

Will Shell be coming to UWP? There is an open pull request that implements Shell on UWP. Keep any eye out there for progress.

You can find the pull request https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/6015

Wolfgang

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:10 PM
  • User236705 posted

Seems pretty clear to me...Xamarin support for UWP is (soon will be) deprecated.

Sunday, August 4, 2019 8:08 PM
  • User76049 posted

AppCenter is getting UWP support in a few months. Their strategy on this is somewhat confused. Suspect it'll remain here for a while but just with bug fixes. Microsoft's strategy on this has been pants, to the point they ported Winforms & WPF to core because UWP wasn't making a dent in enterprise dev.

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:12 AM
  • User390979 posted

What do we need to get information such as this from the Xamarin.Forms team?

It looks to me like the team is extremely understaffed, it's almost like a hobby project in Github with a small handful of developers. What is Microsoft's strategy regarding Xamarin.Forms and UWP support? If both will be dropped please come forward and say it. The fact that this question has not been answered goes to show how small the team is.

Monday, May 25, 2020 5:59 PM
  • User74 posted

@Tommigun
    Take a look at these links: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-multi-platform-app-ui/ https://github.com/dotnet/maui

Monday, May 25, 2020 7:27 PM
  • User76049 posted

https://github.com/unoplatform/Uno

Monday, May 25, 2020 9:52 PM
  • User76049 posted

Flutter and ReactNative give Win10 suppport via UWP (I think), MAUI will have Win10 support and a pretty close version of Forms to last release will be in there so, take your pick, MAUI is a bit down the road, depends on strategy and what you need to deliver in 12 months. stick with the MS tech stack or try something else.

Monday, May 25, 2020 10:06 PM
  • User301772 posted

So since no one from Xamarin.forms has answered this I would say Yeah, its going to have a slow death. The answers provided here are not answers that Xamarin is doing anything with UWP its hey look over there, at what others are doing.

Do I think they will provide updates for uwp, yes. Will they ever finish Shell, no, will they ever do any of the new features they are doing for iOS or Android, not unless they are extremely easy to do. Nothing against them at all here, they seemed to start out with good intentions but the majority of their users seem to be iOS and Android Phone users and thats where their focus is.

This is not my target market, mine for now is Desktop and tablet. And the Tablet and Desktop are different animals from what a phone is, scope and size of the applications for tablets and desktops are much larger than the phone, and this is not a dig against phone apps, they are complex and big, just different than say an enterprise app and its use.

Frustrating thing here is, again just like silverlight Microsoft has abandoned their enterprise developers, do this, or do that and then just drop it. Maybe we should be like the window forms developers, just wait 10 years until it come in vogue again and get new support :)

Funny, silverlight, the bad product now we have Web Assembly e.g. Blazor .... somethings never change

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:58 AM